Buying internationally from Amazon or Alibaba

Thanks for the explanation - you sound like a real connoisseur. Have seen many posts about "American" bacon but never knew the difference.

I shopped at Trader Joe's for the past three decades - it is my idea of grocery heaven.
A giant Whole Foods opened in my town, not a mile from Trader Joe's, but I'm happy to report it hasn't made a dent in their faithful customer base.

As to DHL, service in Uruguay is dismal. Once they took a whole week to deliver my next-day letter to the US. When I complained there was no apology, no price adjustment, nothing. Let buyers beware...!

Customs regulations there are as bad or worse than in Argentina. A friend received a bread-making machine as a gift from a Swiss relative. Taxes due were 1.5 times the value of the machine, so he refused delivery.

Oh, Good Lord, no! I'm the furthest thing from a connoisseur; talk to Rich One if you need a sophisticated palate :)

I just remember when I was a boy, waking up at Grandma's house on winter mornings, and smelling that aroma of frying bacon all through the house, along with that unique smell of coffee in an old fashioned percolator, and oh, I have no words. Bacon is tied up in many of my earliest and happiest memories, back in the mid to late 1960's when America was something to be proud of, when we had no doubts and actually trusted our government.

But of course that world, that America, is gone with the wind, nevermore to return. Sic transit gloria mundi.

OK, I looked and the only thing I can find is called -

Espuña

Panceta ahumada Espuña feteada 150 g.

-at about 200 pesos (1300 per kilo), and something very similar but with the words "de cerdo" added, at 450 pesos for 200 grams, (2250 per kilo). Is that what you bought?

Yes, we ordered this and it was excellent.
ESPUÑA
Smoked bacon Espuña feted 150 g.
$ 194.90 ($ 1,299.33 x 1 K.)

From the photo the other one looks like it might be good too.
ESPUÑA
Smoked bacon Espuña feted 200 g.
$ 449.00 ($ 2,245.00 x 1 K.)

Thanks for the explanation - you sound like a real connoisseur. Have seen many posts about "American" bacon but never knew the difference.

I shopped at Trader Joe's for the past three decades - it is my idea of grocery heaven.
A giant Whole Foods opened in my town, not a mile from Trader Joe's, but I'm happy to report it hasn't made a dent in their faithful customer base.

As to DHL, service in Uruguay is dismal. Once they took a whole week to deliver my next-day letter to the US. When I complained there was no apology, no price adjustment, nothing. Let buyers beware...!

Customs regulations there are as bad or worse than in Argentina. A friend received a bread-making machine as a gift from a Swiss relative. Taxes due were 1.5 times the value of the machine, so he refused delivery.
Shame on the Swiss relative. They didn't go far enough in my view. (It could be to not knowing how things work on the receiving end, so that would excuse them from the following.)

When ever I have shipped something to Argentina or there about, knowing it will trigger a tax collection event, I wire more than enough money to my recipient such that they can pay the import duty upon arrival. If you want to send a gift, this is the complete and proper way to do so.

Anti,

It will only "kill the deal" for the person who does not have the means.

If you are buying a $300 USD item and the tax is another $150 USD, the total cost is about $450 USD. From my point of view, it is worth it all day long.

You don't have to deprive yourself of what you want or need in the near term. You don't become a mule the next time you travel. And you don't feel the need to travel because you want to buy something that could be big and bulky.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't have more money than brains! It makes perfect sense to save that iPhone and Mac Book Pro purchase for the next time you travel These are purchases that could represent meaningful savings, plus they travel real well in a carry on.

For something like a coffee pot or I don't know what else it may be??? Buy it online, let it get shipped and focus on the next thing.
I am more of a subscriber to something only being worth what I am willing to pay for it rather than buying because I can or because I want...

For example right now I want a Roomba or similar. Do I need it now? No. Hence at what point do I think the convenience of having it now is worth the extra price?

Well... I can get it shipped to my door Tiendamia (or similar which buys from Amazon) for AR$121.660 + AR$23.550 fees + AR$60.830 in "hidden" import duties (which I need to pay before it comes to my door, which could involve trips to various offices... certainly more headache than using a vacuum machine myself from time to time) Total price - AR$206.040 (US$2.745 official, or US$1.584 ccl)

.... or I can wait and buy it from Amazon in the US for US$1000ish saving at least $500 plus perhaps a little sanity.
Cost of waiting, zero (in-fact by that stage it may even have come down in price or be on sale.. or I may simply not even want it anymore because I am busier thinking about other things than 24/7 dustless floors and have a housekeeper back in action)

Agree that if there is something one needs, then these services provide a good option to get it. But it kind of detracts from the joy of living in Argentina that we don't need to live each day just to get a thrill from buying new things and instead we can take life easier by focusing on the little things and improvising here and there.

I am more of a subscriber to something only being worth what I am willing to pay for it rather than buying because I can or because I want...

For example right now I want a Roomba or similar. Do I need it now? No. Hence at what point do I think the convenience of having it now is worth the extra price?

Well... I can get it shipped to my door Tiendamia (or similar which buys from Amazon) for AR$121.660 + AR$23.550 fees + AR$60.830 in "hidden" import duties (which I need to pay before it comes to my door, which could involve trips to various offices... certainly more headache than using a vacuum machine myself from time to time) Total price - AR$206.040 (US$2.745 official, or US$1.584 ccl)

.... or I can wait and buy it from Amazon in the US for US$1000ish saving at least $500 plus perhaps a little sanity.
Cost of waiting, zero (in-fact by that stage it may even have come down in price or be on sale.. or I may simply not even want it anymore because I am busier thinking about other things than 24/7 dustless floors and have a housekeeper back in action)

Agree that if there is something one needs, then these services provide a good option to get it. But it kind of detracts from the joy of living in Argentina that we don't need to live each day just to get a thrill from buying new things and instead we can take life easier by focusing on the little things and improvising here and there.
Hi Anti,

Now I know what a Roomba is!

Interesting device.

The Dyson rechargeable stick is pretty neat too. I don't think it is available in Argentina though??? I never mind to vacuum. It's quick and easy with a tool like the Dyson. Great for spot cleaning or the whole living area.

I do understand your viewpoint. Something is only worth what another will pay for it. Many people share your view point.

My uncle always told me that 90% of the fun is the time spent wanting something instead of having it. He was right. It's all about the thought, the anticipation and so on ... Once you get it, the luster fades and it is just another thing, even if it is a great thing. He also mentioned that it's possible after enough time passes,. you may decide what you thought you wanted, you changed your mind about it and saved yourself some buyer's remorse.

That, in and of itself, is a big part of why I have been leaning toward minimalism for the past part of my life. I am not cheap, with myself or others. It's just that I don't care for anything except what I need to exist and the few things that truly give me joy.

I like a Japanese style environment with one or two great focal points, neat clean lines, plenty of space, a few great decorations and not much else. It's about the living as opposed to the collecting. But that is me and what I like / enjoy.

Yes, we ordered this and it was excellent.
ESPUÑA
Smoked bacon Espuña feted 150 g.
$ 194.90 ($ 1,299.33 x 1 K.)

From the photo the other one looks like it might be good too.
ESPUÑA
Smoked bacon Espuña feted 200 g.
$ 449.00 ($ 2,245.00 x 1 K.)

Update:
I just had some of the $2,245/k bacon. It was excellent, too my bacon-starved palate it was just like American bacon. I even cooked it in the microwave.
A few weeks ago I had the $1,299/k bacon cooked in a skillet. It was excellent too.

jeff, does it come sliced? or in a chunk of pork belly that you have to slice yourself.

yeah, i want it sliced. a couple months ago i bought some paceta from PIAF but it came in a big chunk. i didn't realize i should have specified sliced...although i'm sure they would do it if i requested it.

Back