Hamburg Bans Single Use Coffee Pods...

Recycling systems that are based on the assumption that customers separate their garbage and bring it back to the shop without any incentives (like a refund) are doomed to fail. How many people are actually making the effort and don't throw them back into the general garbage? I'd be surprised if the number is even close to 50%. There's a reason that companies like Nestle/Nespresso report only the recycling capacity, but not the actual recycling quota...

"Recycling systems that are based on the assumption that customers separate their garbage and bring it back to the shop without any incentives (like a refund) are doomed to fail."

Depends where you are. Works better in Germany than in Argentina. But Jantango is working to convince her neighbors to separate their recyclables, so there's that.

While there are cultural differences (the "typical" Germans is probably thinking more about the environmental effects than the "typical" Argentine), the actual reason that the German recycling system works pretty efficiently is that there are incentives. Basically you have three kinds of garbage. Cardboard/paper, "recyclables" and remaining garbage. The first category is mostly outsourced to private companies and they are often economically efficient, so you pay for the waste management with your waste. The second category is a system called "the green dot" where manufacturers are forced to pay a fee based on their packaging, which is used to finance the collection and recycling. The remaining waste is paid by each household based on volume - the more garbage of this category you produce, the more you pay. So it makes financially sense to separate the three categories and minimize the non-recycable garbage. I'm pretty sure if everyone would pay a fixed fee for the remaining garbage, way less people would actually separate the garbage.

or there are reusable systems
http://articulo.merc...ble-sealpod-_JM

I have the Senseo machine and got a CoffeeDuck filter. The amount of money I save by grinding the beans, making my own 'shots' is phenomenal! And I just dump the coffee grounds in a big planter and mix it up into the soil.

There are ways around the incredible waste. Although I've heard people complain about having to manually fill the reusable pods.... laziness is another issue :p

They are recyclable. You can take them to the nespresso store in the DOT or the one in recoleta

I think that they like to APPEAR to be showing their 'greeness', but I've not seen any evidence that there exists a facility that does the actual sorting and recycling. I've seen some collection depots, but even those seem woefully unprepared.

I don't understand the point of coffee made from hot water passing through plastic and aluminum anyway...

Back