Handy Things To Take Travelling And Other Travel Facts.

Gringoboy

Registered
4500 kms over 8 days, BA to Tilcara by car and 6 hotels, this little water heating device (pictured below) was invaluable for tea and coffee early in the morning. Cost $60.
Garmin GPS in the car, more than useful in towns and cities, backed up by Google maps and a Bluetooth car radio for pairing with the mobile.
We learned to avoid buying food/drink at service stations, but to stock up in town beforehand due to the cost.
The Cordoba/Rosario motorway has two YPF stations only, over 400kms and it's a good idea to fill up wherever possible and to avoid queues. In fact, fill up as often as possible is the rule.
Most of the petrol stations in Salta and Jujuy, at least the ones we visited, only take cash. Same for many of the hotels which say they take cards, but often when you go to pay they mysteriously stop working.
We're seriously thinking of joining ACA to get the 30% discount on ACA hosterias and 5% on fuel.
It's also a good idea to check if the road is paved or not. The R40 from Cachi to Cafayate is gravel (ripio) for 110kms, although our little Honda Fit performed heroically in spite of her low clearance. Not recommended though.
Pack as much water as you can, along with tools and make sure the spare tyre isn't flat!

4500 kms over 8 days, BA to Tilcara by car and 6 hotels, this little water heating device (pictured below) was invaluable for tea and coffee early in the morning. Cost $60.
Garmin GPS in the car, more than useful in towns and cities, backed up by Google maps and a Bluetooth car radio for pairing with the mobile.
We learned to avoid buying food/drink at service stations, but to stock up in town beforehand due to the cost.
The Cordoba/Rosario motorway has two YPF stations only, over 400kms and it's a good idea to fill up wherever possible and to avoid queues. In fact, fill up as often as possible is the rule.
Most of the petrol stations in Salta and Jujuy, at least the ones we visited, only take cash. Same for many of the hotels which say they take cards, but often when you go to pay they mysteriously stop working.
We're seriously thinking of joining ACA to get the 30% discount on ACA hosterias and 5% on fuel.
It's also a good idea to check if the road is paved or not. The R40 from Cachi to Cafayate is gravel (ripio) for 110kms, although our little Honda Fit performed heroically in spite of her low clearance. Not recommended though.
Pack as much water as you can, along with tools and make sure the spare tyre isn't flat!

Have credit and battery on you cell phone to call the tow truck....!! Buy a hydraulic jack , good flash light , belts...ª

Some good tips.

And as much as I like the Google app and Waze, I still love my Garmin, with her sexy British enunciation. Not to mention that the others have run me in circles a few times.

Some good tips.

And as much as I like the Google app and Waze, I still love my Garmin, with her sexy British enunciation. Not to mention that the others have run me in circles a few times.
True that..
It has a tendency to go as the crow flies which can only be corrected by using waypoints.

It has a tendency to go as the crow flies which can only be corrected by using waypoints.

Oh! For a minute, I thought you were referring to the water boiling coil!

I like this thread. Most people on this forum travel more than the average person, and it would be interesting to know everyone's favorite travel items. We always take a hot water coil, tea, ziplock bags, and if out of the country, plug adapters.

(That R40 from Cachi to Cafayate really IS a trough road. Even worse is the long side trip after Molinos, up to the Colomé vineyard, a true moonscape with washboard road. Worth it when you get up to Colomé, but on the way down, you are already asking "what were we THINKING?")

We always take a stretchy clothes line, and a water purifying wand. If a car trip we take a wire to charge phone & wire to hookup phone to car stereo system.
A itty bitty speaker for hotel room.
Nancy

Oh! For a minute, I thought you were referring to the water boiling coil!

I like this thread. Most people on this forum travel more than the average person, and it would be interesting to know everyone's favorite travel items. We always take a hot water coil, tea, ziplock bags, and if out of the country, plug adapters.

(That R40 from Cachi to Cafayate really IS a trough road. Even worse is the long side trip after Molinos, up to the Colomé vineyard, a true moonscape with washboard road. Worth it when you get up to Colomé, but on the way down, you are already asking "what were we THINKING?")

Great minds think alike Mrs Redbeanz
We considered going even deeper into the wilderness but I decided that the little Honda had been through enough already.
At the ranch we stayed at, we filled up as many bottles of water as we could as their well is 150 meters deep and the water was deliciously pure.
Next time a more suitable vehicle, no doubt there.

Back