Happy cinco de mayo!

Can someone explain to an argentinian, what the heck is cinco de mayo? Who celebrates it and what is it?
Thanks.

Cinco de Mayo is more a marketing thing for Corona now... It was the day of an old military battle in Mexico against the French... with a surprise victory for the Mexican forces......
But in the USA it is a big deal just to have a party and drink Corona, tequila and eat mexican food..... more of just another reason to drink..... I think it is more popular in the USA than Mexico itself....

It is when Mexico gained independence from France. That should explain why it is a U.S. holiday.

So basically... a mexican festivity, celebrated in the states, that most mexicans (in mexico) don't even really care for.
And attempted to be celebrated in Argentina now...
Oh yes... definitely an excuse to drink beer and eat tacos :)
Count me in :p

argsteve said:
Cinco de Mayo is more a marketing thing for Corona now... It was the day of an old military battle in Mexico against the French... with a surprise victory for the Mexican forces......
But in the USA it is a big deal just to have a party and drink Corona, tequila and eat mexican food..... more of just another reason to drink..... I think it is more popular in the USA than Mexico itself....

It basically started in Texas and then spread across the SouthWest as a way to market Corona and other Mexican alcoholic beverages. There was a nice lull in the calender between spring break and Memorial day and someone found that Mexico (1) actually won a battle at one point & (2) that battle happened to fall in the sweet spot that the liquor companies were looking for.

After spreading through the SouthWest, eventually the "holiday" made its way across the country much as cheap Mexican labor and Mexican food did. And it's really hard to keep a good liquor holiday down.

YohoYoho said:
It is when Mexico gained independence from France. That should explain why it is a U.S. holiday.

images

Not even close. :rolleyes:

bradlyhale said:
I wonder what the festivities will be like in Arizona.

They are using it as a day of protest and manifestations

syngirl said:
They are using it as a day of protest and manifestations

Hopefully with margaritas in hand.

Alcohol and protests...interesting combo.

Back