Harvard Student Studing In Ba Looking For Work

1jeng

Registered
Hi, my son is a student at Harvard doing his semester abroad in Buenos Aires currently. He needs to earn some money and was thinking that he could tutor English or correct English papers, however he is new to BA and doesn't know where or how to advertise his services.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Jennifer

Hi, my son is a student at Harvard doing his semester abroad in Buenos Aires currently. He needs to earn some money and was thinking that he could tutor English or correct English papers, however he is new to BA and doesn't know where or how to advertise his services.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Jennifer

He could try craigslist Buenos Aires.

It's too bad he didn't research (google) "teaching English in Buenos Aires" with or without the additional words" baexpat forum" prior to his arrival.

If he had brought a suitcase stuffed full of Harvard t-shirts he could have made more profit selling them on mercado libre than he will ever be paid tutoring or correcting "English papers" while he's here (and with far less effort/time spent).

PS: That's just the opinion of an old capitalist who opened his first retail store when he was a sophomore in college (at a state university in Ilinois 45 years ago) and still "buys and sells" to make money (and never looked for work with his degree in economics).

PPS: I am "somewhat surprised" that the mother of a Harvard student actually asked (in a public forum) where her son could look for work because he doesn't "know where or how to advertise his services."

I hope this doesn't become a trend. If we don't watch out, someday we could have a President of the United States who graduated form Harvard but relies on help/advice from his mother/ mother-in-law (who might even live at the White House) because he doesn't know how to govern. :rolleyes:

Helicopter-Parents.jpg

You guys being mean to the poor mom.

She is just trying to help her young son who may have led a very protected life.

You guys being mean to the poor mom.

She is just trying to help her young son who may have lead a very protected life.

It looks like the "young son" might still be living a mommy led life.

But let's give credit where credit is due.

At least mom found this forum and asked the question.

Of course she could have suggested doing so to her son (and would have avoided the obvious implications), but a little pecker leaving the hen house does not necessarily mean that the mother hen will stop doing what she does best.

PS: Lest we forget, "A boy's best friend is his mother." (Norman Bates)

It looks like the "young son" might still be living a mommy led life.

But let's give credit where credit is due.

At least mom found this found this forum and asked the question.
steveinbsas, I always look for your excellent writing along ElQueso too in order to somehow mimic to be more coherent here when writing in my poor English...If you keep writing in the fashion above, my learning the proper English from you is over....

Craigslist is the best place- he will find hundreds of teaching adverts, once he has one job it will go from there. The pay is crap but if he doesn't mind then that is where he should start.

Ha,ha,haa. Harvard T-Shirts sells in BsAs. Can make more money than teaching English.?
Then I will skip bringing the iphones and ipads when visiting there!
When the Aduanas and migracion asks me why all these T-Shirts, I will say, have hundread of Amigos aqui...

Ha,ha,haa. Harvard T-Shirts sells in BsAs. Can make more money than teaching English.?
Then I will skip bringing the iphones and ipads when visiting there!
When the Aduanas and migracion asks me why all these T-Shirts, I will say, have hundread of Amigos aqui...

Even if they X-rayed a suitcase stuffed full of t-shirts, without any electronics they would never ask for it to be opened.

It didn't take a degree from Harvard to develop this strategy, but it would be more lucrative for you to shop in the Bay area thrift shops for used Ralph Lauren Polo dress shirts (often dontated in nearly new condition) that could be sold in BA for about five times the thrift shop price,

Back