Has Anyone Been To The U.s Embassy/consulate

Tgore1055

Registered
Just wondering if you needed an appointment, and if they allow an Argentinian spouse to accompany you in.

I wanted to check it out and get information about various programs and possibly even start the application process to get a green card for my Argentinian spouse.

Just wondering if you needed an appointment, and if they allow an Argentinian spouse to accompany you in.

I wanted to check it out and get information about various programs and possibly even start the application process to get a green card for my Argentinian spouse.

I did this a long time ago, before anything was online. I think you'd be well-advised to make an appointment online (though I haven't looked at the consulate's site lately).

Go to the US embassy site online. You should be able to find basic information that will direct you accordingly.

You can go there anytime you want.
Just do not carry any gun, knife, scissors, etc.
You wife can go too, no problem, just bring your passports,etc.

Thanks for all your responses, they were helpful. From what I gather on my own it seems that you cannot apply for a green card for your spouse through the embassy any long....but you have to send all the documents to the U.S.

I'm going to try and make a visit for some additional information.

The Embassy has step-by-step instructions online about how to begin the Immigrant Visa process. To apply for your spouse, you will need to submit a Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If you still have questions after reading through everything online, email [email protected]. At this point, it is probably not worth the hassle of going to the Embassy -- they can't do much until you've filed the petition with USCIS.

In related news, as of Friday -- the process is now the same for same-sex spouses. Check out the Department of State's FAQs for Post-Defense of Marriage Act for more info.

If you are just going in to get your passport, your spouse cannot accompany you. You have to mail your initial application for your spouse's greencard with a check to start the process to a lock box in Chicago.

In my experience, if you just want to go by yourself as an American through the main gate that faces the park there, they will essentially wave you through if you play the dumb yankee and wave your US passport about. Abbreviated security pass-through and right on through. All of the people who man the gate and the security line are Argentine nationals, so if you show up as an American during the regular "Argentine-US visa service hours," they figure you're there for something important and let you skip the line.

Once you're inside, who knows. The US embassy staff is of varying competence and some of them speak about as much english as the average boludo on the street. YMMV.

Remember the US Embassy consular section is divided into three distinct, busy sections. American Citizen Services (ACS), Nonimmigrant Visas, and Immigrant Visas. I am not sure which "programs" you want to check out, but it would probably pay off to check the website first before going by the Embassy and waiting in line for a chance to speak with the staff. Information for ACS (passports, notarials) etc are on the website. Going to the Embassy without a clear idea of what it is that you need is like going to DMV just to check it out.

Regarding the process for immigration for your wife, Texmeg provided the relevant websites and links. Remember that the Embassy (Dept of State) has nothing to do with your immigrant visa PETITION until said petition is already approved by USCIS. Entonces, they cannot really assist you on site other than to give you the same website and links that are readily available online. This may be a bit unsatisfying, but there is no USCIS presence at the consulate here. Once the petition is approved you will be dealing with Embassy staff to schedule your appt, get the docs in order, etc.

Good luck.

Back