Has Anyone Lived In Puerto Madero

BankNote

Registered
Ladies & Gentlemen

I have always stayed in Palermo. However, I am not able to find anything I really like in Palermo. Or if I do find anything, I am not able to close the deal .

I want to expand my horizons. I like only high end buildings.

Their are some really nice buildings ( which I liked) in Puerto Madero.However, I am a little "afraid" of Puerto Madero being off the grid.

Has anyone ever lived there and can tell me the negatives of living there.

One negative I clearly see is no subte connection and lacking in pusle of Capital Federal.

Your views?

You have great and lovely places in Belgrano,in the german embassy area,and close to the subte and transportation.

The additional taxi fare will be a drop in the bucket compared to the all the money you will need for PM rent and restaurants.

Ladies & Gentlemen

I have always stayed in Palermo. However, I am not able to find anything I really like in Palermo. Or if I do find anything, I am not able to close the deal .

I want to expand my horizons. I like only high end buildings.

Their are some really nice buildings ( which I liked) in Puerto Madero.However, I am a little "afraid" of Puerto Madero being off the grid.

Has anyone ever lived there and can tell me the negatives of living there.

One negative I clearly see is no subte connection and lacking in pusle of Capital Federal.

Your views?

Puerto Madero resident here.

It can be pretty desolate and it does not feel like you are in BA at all, but rather in some sort of fantasy bubble for rich Argentines that want to live outside Argentina, but don't want to leave Argentina. Grocery options are very limited, with only one super market. Also, public transportation is lacking. You also get first hand experience on how loud Ferraris and Lamborghinis can be, as the rich race them up and down Juana Manso late at night during the weekends.

On the plus side it is quieter than the rest of BA, much cleaner and safer. Little or no blackouts, which is a huge plus during the summer. Also great parks, a reserva ecologica right there and walking distance to San Telmo.

It is not for everyone. if you are looking for a true Argentine experience, Puerto Madero is hard to recommend. But if you are here because you have to, and really hate to put up with all the BS that day to day life in Argentina requires, living there might make life here slightly more tolerable

:) I find it funny how PM has always seems to get a bad rap here in the forums, often from people who've spent very little time living here, or none at all. You read the same comments like "it's not true Argentina", etc... :) But seriously? do you think that anyone who can not afford to live in Recoleta or the Palermos, etc., would classify any of those neighborhoods as "true Argentina" either? ... Everyone lives their own reality, and for some the "neighborhood feel" appears to only to be found where _they_ live or have lived, yet forget that experience is for all of us to find of our own.

The fact is, that PM is just another BA neighborhood with its pro's and con's like any of the others (it's still Argentina, duh!)

Is it for you? only you'll know, and maybe the only advice worth anything that I can give you is to rent for a month or two and try it out. Like any at other neighborhood, you'll have to get a feel for it and see if it meets your needs. But in the end, it'll always come down to what you're personally looking for and what you can afford.

Don't get me wrong, we've been living here since 2005, and I'm the first one to admit that PM is not for everyone. If you can't afford its higher cost of living, it's not for you. If you like maneuvering around dog shit as you go out for a walk, looking over your shoulder as you step in and out of your home, living in a noisy area, outages, old buildings and architecture, and every other shop owner or neighbor greeting you by name as you walk by, then PM certainly might not be the place for you. :) If on the other hand, you value safety, quiet, and order and don't mind using taxis or walking a bit more to get where you need to, then it should be on your list to consider.

But personally, I love PM and i would not change it for any other neighborhood in BA. It's my neighborhood, and where I feel most comfortable and safe at. The moment this place is no longer comfortable for us to live in, that's the moment we say bye-bye to Argentina. But so far that hasn't happened, despite the many tired forum reviews. ;)

ps: I'll add that PM keeps changing and is not as "off the grid" as it was before. The only thing I really wish I had here was a verduleria, but eh' we always make do with several convenience stores and the Avicar, and Jumbo (ugh!). As far as transport, there are colectivos that come inside PM. Taxis? they are often everywhere, and we've had as many problems getting cabs in PM as we've had outside PM. Subte? nothing inside PM, but the Alem subte station is nearby as well as plaza de mayo, both within blocks to a ~15 min walk depending where you choose to live in PM.

Good luck!

/the [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]nouveau-rich campora guys [/background] B) :cool:

I spent a good chunk of my 7 years in BsAs in Puerto Madero. I didn't live there, but I went there for work several days a week for a few years. It reminds me of the SOMA area of San Francisco. Sure, it's new, clean, and VERY safe, but it's also soulless and overpriced, IMHO.

2GuysinPM,

Excellent argument. I do love architecture and can't possible image myself living in a place where the ceilings are anything below 3 metres' high. I work in Olivos, where the people wouldn't normally survive without a garden. At the end of the day, it all comes down to whatever rocks your boat. I am too old school to live in Puerto Madero.

:) I find it funny how PM has always seems to get a bad rap here in the forums, often from people who've spent very little time living here, or none at all. You read the same comments like "it's not true Argentina", etc... :) But seriously? do you think that anyone who can not afford to live in Recoleta or the Palermos, etc., would classify any of those neighborhoods as "true Argentina" either? ... Everyone lives their own reality, and for some the "neighborhood feel" appears to only to be found where _they_ live or have lived, yet forget that experience is for all of us to find of our own.

The fact is, that PM is just another BA neighborhood with its pro's and con's like any of the others (it's still Argentina, duh!)

Is it for you? only you'll know, and maybe the only advice worth anything that I can give you is to rent for a month or two and try it out. Like any at other neighborhood, you'll have to get a feel for it and see if it meets your needs. But in the end, it'll always come down to what you're personally looking for and what you can afford.

Don't get me wrong, we've been living here since 2005, and I'm the first one to admit that PM is not for everyone. If you can't afford its higher cost of living, it's not for you. If you like maneuvering around dog shit as you go out for a walk, looking over your shoulder as you step in and out of your home, living in a noisy area, outages, old buildings and architecture, and every other shop owner or neighbor greeting you by name as you walk by, then PM certainly might not be the place for you. :) If on the other hand, you value safety, quiet, and order and don't mind using taxis or walking a bit more to get where you need to, then it should be on your list to consider.

But personally, I love PM and i would not change it for any other neighborhood in BA. It's my neighborhood, and where I feel most comfortable and safe at. The moment this place is no longer comfortable for us to live in, that's the moment we say bye-bye to Argentina. But so far that hasn't happened, despite the many tired forum reviews. ;)

ps: I'll add that PM keeps changing and is not as "off the grid" as it was before. The only thing I really wish I had here was a verduleria, but eh' we always make do with several convenience stores and the Avicar, and Jumbo (ugh!). As far as transport, there are colectivos that come inside PM. Taxis? they are often everywhere, and we've had as many problems getting cabs in PM as we've had outside PM. Subte? nothing inside PM, but the Alem subte station is nearby as well as plaza de mayo, both within blocks to a ~15 min walk depending where you choose to live in PM.

Good luck!

/the [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]nouveau-rich campora guys [/background] B) :cool:

As a lady in Beverly Hills once said.... " It's better Nouveau than No Riches at All..!! " :cool:

Back