Has Anyone Sent Money Into Arg Via Official Means Lately?

citygirl

Registered
With all the changes, I'm wondering if anyone has sent themselves money via "official" channels? We had a client pay us from the US a few weeks ago and it was a really easy experience - she wired the money, went through the official process and we received it a few weeks later here in Argentina. Yes, it was converted to pesos but that was no issue.

I'm debating opening a Citi bank account here in Arg and sending myself some money via my Citi US account if it's not a total PITA.

With all the changes, I'm wondering if anyone has sent themselves money via "official" channels? We had a client pay us from the US a few weeks ago and it was a really easy experience - she wired the money, went through the official process and we received it a few weeks later here in Argentina. Yes, it was converted to pesos but that was no issue.

I'm debating opening a Citi bank account here in Arg and sending myself some money via my Citi US account if it's not a total PITA.

Did you still have to present your invoice for the US client to the bank? Or is that requirement gone now? Also how much were you charged for receiving the wire?

And what rate was used, compared with the official spread of the day?

Has anybody tried to wire USD to Arg. USD accounts recently? I tried it once, before the Cepo to buy a house, but it bounced back (which I guess was at least half-positive).

We did present an invoice but to be 100% honest, the third party (shipper) requested so I'm not sure if it was for their paperwork process or b/c the bank needed it.

We got the official exchange rate.

I'm going to open a savings account at Citi this week so I'll post once I try to send some money in.

Isn't city planning to move out of Argentina? I have account there and they didn't mention nothing, but still is maybe good to ask.

Also, for this cases bcra put out some paper a5899, in which it is allowing people to receive this kind of funds, and they could stay in usd if you have caja ahorro in dólar. Till now only Santander acknowledged that paper, but I guess the others should follow.

If this is true (you should check with someone reliable, not with bank though, since they are quite ignorant of any change in their bank), you can then choose when and where to exchange money.

Isn't city planning to move out of Argentina? I have account there and they didn't mention nothing, but still is maybe good to ask.

Also, for this cases bcra put out some paper a5899, in which it is allowing people to receive this kind of funds, and they could stay in usd if you have caja ahorro in dólar. Till now only Santander acknowledged that paper, but I guess the others should follow.

If this is true (you should check with someone reliable, not with bank though, since they are quite ignorant of any change in their bank), you can then choose when and where to exchange money.

Thanks for this info. Very interesting. Here is the link: http://www.bcra.gov.ar/Pdfs/comytexord/A5899.pdf

I'm not sussed about the dollars, I'll open an account in pesos. With the official exchange rate pretty much being the same as blue, I am happy to have it changed through central bank. I simply want to transfer some money here into a local savings account so as to make it easy for every day expenses :)

I'm not sussed about the dollars, I'll open an account in pesos. With the official exchange rate pretty much being the same as blue, I am happy to have it changed through central bank. I simply want to transfer some money here into a local savings account so as to make it easy for every day expenses :)

Dólar account is additional (also you pay additional) and can come quite handy. I was not talking about blue, but also official is changing a lot, so you would have more control over it. You can change money in the moment when it's high, over the Internet and how much you want.

But again, you have to see, what your options really are. Some banks don't open nothing, some just pesos, some even give you credit card (very useful to use quotas and discounts, they are huge). Also about transactions from abroad and fees they differ a lot. Some demand a lot of papers, others nothing.

For example, banco piano was always sending money out, when I couldn't do it with city. It's a mess, you just have to find best option for you.

Back