Has The Long Awaited Crackdown On 90 Day Overstays Begun?

steveinbsas

Registered
This was posted yesterday in a thread asking about getting an FBI report (in a hurry):

I recently got a citation from migrations saying that I needed to show up to the migrations office within 5 days. This is here in Cordoba. I showed up the next day. When I showed up they told me that I have overstayed my tourist visa (I guess it's not a visa, but for the sake of this post I'll call it a visa) and that I need to regularise my situation within 30 days.

I wonder if this is just the beginning of a new "enforcement" policy at migraciones that might affect all foreigners who have overstayed their residencia transitoria (aka 90 day tourist visa), or if this is the action of just one office/official.

It might be an isolated case, but if it's the start of a new policy it's not good news for those who can't qualify for temporary residency or citizenship...and it might be a good idea for anyone who has overstayed but can also qualify for temporary residency to order an FBI report as soon as possible.
emo32.gif

It is the right action taken by the immigration to do things - just as it is done in any other country worldwide. . Hope it is enforced.

Like the USA?

"A Department of Homeland Security report boasts near-99 percent compliance of several visa programs, but estimates that 527,127 visitors from last year overstayed."

https://www.rt.com/u...ayed-visas-usa/

One percent per year has apparently added up to a huge number. Though accurate figures are difficult to obtain, it has been estimated that between 37.5% and 50% (4.5 million - 6 million) of the estimated 11-18 million illegal aliens currently in the USA are foreigners who have overstayed their temporary visas.

https://www.numbersu...-visa-overstays

PS: I was quite surprised by the total (estimated) accumulated number of overstays, given the claim the 99% compliance figure, but I also read that only about one percent of those who have overstayed are actually being deported.
emo32.gif

What I always find super interesting ;) is that these posts appear periodically from someone who has never posted before and inevitably never posts again.

FWIW - a year or so ago, I was at a dinner with someone from Migraciones fairly high up the food chain and I asked him about the "crackdown" on permatourists I had heard about. He laughed. A lot. And then told me that while Migraciones *was* concerned about narcos entering on a tourist visa from other S. American countries,, the average permatourist from a N. American/European country was not exactly on the radar.

Maybe it's changing but yeah, I think there are a few bigger problems than the small, small percentage of "permatourists." How many are there anyway these days? I would guess with the price increase, lots of digital nomads have moved on the less expensive/safer pastures or at least that's what I hear from friends in the real estate/tourism business.

citygirl.
A good analysis.The "permatourists" are a still a needed stimulating ingredient in the local economy..Many of them are rent payers,Uber supporters and have extra disposable income to spend.Besides,they usually don't take jobs away fom Argentines.The gov't is not going to mes with that .At least for now.

If someone has a letter from immigration, the advice is to do not go.

Citizenship can be applied before the 2 years so, the definition about who or when you can start depends on your lawyer.

There is a change regarding Chinese.

Well, i got in 1 day more notifications of fines than i used to get in one year: ethnic cleanning.

Well, i m going to be clearer: the new administration is focus on ethnic cleanning of Chinese.

In fact, the rangers have a shooting with the illegal immigrants:
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1892164-salta-rescatan-a-ocho-ciudadanos-chinos-que-eran-ingresados-al-pais-ilegalmente

I do not buy it. Seems a fake shooting (only the police shoot).

However, there are 2 inspectors who are deporting expats at Ezeiza.

Back