have you ever heard of them checking how much money you take out at Ezeiza?

jacklewis

Registered
I just sold a stake in an apartment and I wanted to take the dollars out. It is over 10K. On the US side i will just declare exactly how much I have. I was wondering if anyone knows if they check how much money you have when you are leaving on the Argentine side. Thanks.

Wny is this not a good idea? I checked with a bank manager and an American Airlines reservations agent. Both confirmed that the law has NOT changed in this respect - that you can take out USD $10,000. If you already have that in cash and don't have to ask the AFIP for permission to buy the dollars, there is apparently no restriction. If someone has factual information and not speculation, please let me know. Has anyone been stopped at EZEIZA and not allowed to depat for having $10,000 dollars? Did they take your money from you? If I am wrong on this, please tell me as I have been trying to get FACTS. A lot of people are intimidated by all the laws and regulations which of course is the intent.

Well, I think BienTeVeo meant that it's not a good idea to carry huge of sums of cash (like from an apartment sale) on your person. $10,000 or under is fine... over $10,000? I would be scared. :p

It is not speculation that people have been arrested recently at EZE for carrying over the $10,000 limit... the ones I have read about in the paper were carrying in the hundreds of thousands, but still... it's a risk. I'd keep it at $10,000... though I'm sure there are people who have gotten more through. ;)

I have never heard of them actually counting people's cash... but they are looking for it perhaps on the xray machines and possibly dogs too, though I haven't heard any confirmation of that at EZE.

I'm thinking weeeeeey too many people on here are watching the Cronica channel =0) Blimey =0)

Amplexus said:
I'm thinking weeeeeey too many people on here are watching the Cronica channel =0) Blimey =0)

What does Cronica have to do with anything?

As Eclair said, argentine law says that U$S10000 is the limit. Sure, they might not catch you. But wouldn't take the chance.

Not a good idea at all, I would find a place that would wire that money out for a fee ( around 5% ) for my peace of mind.

Amplexus said:

You don't think it's true that they're arresting people for smuggling dollars out of the country without paying taxes? If they find it, you're in trouble. :p

Cronica may have questionable methods, but not everything they report is false. And if the government doesn't care about people taking dollars out of the country, then why all the dollar sniffing dogs and currency controls? ;) It's true that you may be able to smuggle it out without detection, but I wouldn't advise someone to do that... especially if they aren't fully aware of the risks and everything that could possibly go wrong.

http://www.clarin.com/politica/Descubren-gremialista-intento-salir-dolares_0_517748457.html

chris said:
Wny is this not a good idea? I checked with a bank manager and an American Airlines reservations agent. Both confirmed that the law has NOT changed in this respect - that you can take out USD $10,000. If you already have that in cash and don't have to ask the AFIP for permission to buy the dollars, there is apparently no restriction. If someone has factual information and not speculation, please let me know. Has anyone been stopped at EZEIZA and not allowed to depat for having $10,000 dollars? Did they take your money from you? If I am wrong on this, please tell me as I have been trying to get FACTS. A lot of people are intimidated by all the laws and regulations which of course is the intent.
The OP clearly states that it is MORE than 10K.

According to the papers, the people who have been caught trying to take undeclared cash out of EZE were stopped at the security checkpoint (because the masses in their bags looked suspicious enough on the X-ray screen for security flunkies to rifle through their bags.) If you are carrying it on your person, like in a money belt, I suppose the biggest risk would be either a very thorough pat-down or the presence of dollar-sniffing dogs. Like others have said, you might get away with it, but they are on high enough alert that it's probably not worth the risk (especially if the sum is large enough to create noticeable bulk.)

Back