Have you seen.. ...the coal trains?

elhombresinnombre

Registered
Have you seen the coal trains rumbling in and out of CABA along the Linea San Martin? It is a new feature along this track and I was wondering why? I couldn't swear that they run daily though today it took my attention that a full one thundered into CABA this morning and an empty one clattered out this afternoon.

Is this a sudden new demand for coal or does this have anything to do with the problems on the Belgrano line? I'm just curious and wondered if anybody knew anything?

I dont know why they would be bring in coal unless it was export. Energy demands in Argentina are decreasing due to the warmer weather.

I dont think there still are coal fired plants in argentina. There was one, but they turned it off in 2018. Costanera, the one in BA, is gas fired as are a good dozen others. There are also three nuclear plants, a lot of hydroelectric generation, and more and more solar and wind. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_power_stations_in_Argentina#cite_note-IndustCardsOther-1
my guess is coal is still used locally for some industrial heating- think old factories, and, industrially, for some foundries. But the latest figure I could find was production of 30,000 tons in 2019. Thats basically ONE train full. So maybe it was something else that just looked like coal.

....maybe it was something else that just looked like coal.
Interesting thought. From where I am living I can look down on the wagons but I am not near enough to pick out much else. If I get the chance I'll take a photo but since they only come past loaded once a day or less and at random times, that might not happen soon.

I don't really know that much about the Argentine rail network - although that doesn't stop me enjoying photographing old trains - but I wondered if the lines were networked in the British way and whether these were shipments destined for somewhere else being rerouted via CABA to avoid an obstruction? For example, as mentioned earlier, the current problem with the Belgrano line.

Interesting thought. From where I am living I can look down on the wagons but I am not near enough to pick out much else. If I get the chance I'll take a photo but since they only come past loaded once a day or less and at random times, that might not happen soon.

I don't really know that much about the Argentine rail network - although that doesn't stop me enjoying photographing old trains - but I wondered if the lines were networked in the British way and whether these were shipments destined for somewhere else being rerouted via CABA to avoid an obstruction? For example, as mentioned earlier, the current problem with the Belgrano line.
Buenos Aires is the hub- most trains end up here at some point. Although not necessarily in Retiro.

see map- https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...ce=embed&mid=13cTjNoUGt_mHd8QIUf9muOgV9i8&z=9

maybe it was oil shale? I dont know. I do know that Argentina does export some metal ores, in the as mined form. Could have been you saw that, heading to the port.

Back