Heading to BsAs in May and questions about apartments

Darnol91

Registered
How's it going guys (and ladies). My names David, and I've been looking around the forums for a while, but just now signed up. I'm a 20 year old college student from Louisiana, U.S. and will be coming to Argentina for three months in May. I look forward to all the helpful information provided here :)
I did have one question in particular about apartments. The program I'm coming with has put me in a choice of two apartments, and I was wondering if anyone here had heard of them, or could tell me if they are in a nice part of town. The apartments are:
Option 1: Vicente López y Callo
ü Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou....591036,-58.390682&spn=0.011358,0.026157&z=16
Option 2: Agüero y Peña
ü Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou....587856,-58.401968&spn=0.011359,0.026157&z=16

Thanks in advance!
-David

Hi David,
They are both good locations in Recoleta. The one on Vicente Lopez is very close to the Recoleta Cementery, it is not an area with young families in general living there ( it is a very traditional area ), the other one on Aguero is more " down to earth " more families, schools, small stores, grocery shops, etc and also closer to Santa Fe, the subway, Alto Palermo mall, etc. They are both good locations really. One thing is that on Callao and Vicente Lopez you have a couple of bus lines running, and there are no buses running on Peña or Aguero.

I have the opportunity to live at one of those two apartments, or to stay in student housing (which is supposed to be pretty nice as far as dorms go) on the UBA, for a young student that does plan on going out while I am there which would you say is the better option?

Darnol91 said:
I have the opportunity to live at one of those two apartments, or to stay in student housing (which is supposed to be pretty nice as far as dorms go) on the UBA, for a young student that does plan on going out while I am there which would you say is the better option?
As you can see from the maps the two are not that far apart. I would opt for the better quarters. If both are equal or you don't know which apt is nicer then I would prefer to live on Vincente Lopez near Callao. Easier walking access to all kinds of stuff including transportation, shops, banks, restaurants, and the very nice Vincente Lopez plaza one block away.

Buses run frequently on Av Vincente Lopez so you might want to inquire whether the apt is situated in the front of the building facing the street. If so, and if early morning traffic sounds will disturb you , then you might opt for the quieter Aguero location.

Darnol91 said:
Well, that is a personal decision really. I do not like to share rooms with people I don´t know in a country I don´t know. I prefer some privacy and my own bathroom. On a side note, the area around UBA is insanely noisy and dirty ( especially during the weekends ) You will be surrounded by ( literally ) thousands of students though if that is what you want.

Darnol91 said:
Option number 2 is way better: more restaurants/bars, green spaces, safe area. I live some 9 blocks away from there and I do think it is less pretentious than the area where the other place is located. I also lived 4 blocks from the to other area: nice, pretty quiet, more expensive though and not as many nice restaurants/bars. Just take a look at the map: if you go for option number 2 you just need to walk some 20 mins to reach the green heart of the city!

Now you've heard about the locations, can you find out which floor these are on and whether the rooms face the street or the back? Can you point us to a few pictures of the interiors. We can give you more feedback with these details.

clooz said:
Now you've heard about the locations, can you find out which floor these are on and whether the rooms face the street or the back? Can you point us to a few pictures of the interiors. We can give you more feedback with these details.
Good points.

Also, WHERE in the city is "UBA housing"?

There isn't an UBA campus. There are just buildings scattered all around town. The closest thing to a campus is on the northern part of town on the river and you DO NOT WANT TO LIVE OUT THERE!! (Though they might have a different idea of where their "campus" is.)

Unless you age 30 years in 3 months, the 2 block radius of Agüero y Peña is going to be more your speed than the 2 block radius of Vicente López y Callo.

However, once you get to a 3 to 4 block radius, from VL y C, then you've got Shamrock, and a restaurant named Cumara (I think) where you might spend more time.

I'm leaning towards recommending you live at Agüero y Peña. But the number of other people in your place, whether you are living with adults who have rules (like no visitors, no parties, no girls in your room...), and whether you have a roommate are all things you should take into account.

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies! I'm glad I started asking around early. Im about to send a few emails out and see if I can get some answers to your questions. As far as room mates, I'll have my own room, but will have room mates approximately my same age. And if one of them tells me I cant have girls over, we will be having some serious issues. Haha. Also, I will be taking summer courses through UBA, and I've tried emailing them directly a few times, but have gotten no reply. As of now, I am going through a program, but was wondering what input all of you had on that? Should I go through UBA directly and get my own place? The program I'm going with offers a few perks, along with setting me up with other students, but I just wanted to get some other opinons.
-David

Back