Health Care For Pregnant Wife

John1017

Registered
wife is pregnant, 23 weeks, we thought her visa would come so we would have the baby in the USA but we now know we will have the baby here in Argentina. Because of this prior uncertainty we don't have health coverage here in Argentina.

We tried Galeno but they won't take here, and OSDE wants 80,000 pesos upfront plus 2000 and 2000 per month. Clinica Trinidad will take an out of pocket pay of around 40,000 pesos which just covers the birth period.

Hospital aleman will take her on their plan A7 for 20,000 pesos, plus 2000 per month.

Does anyone have any advice, should I find an international provider, should we brave the public hospital, Rivadavia (Which I've see, and really don't want my kid being born there)

My wife wants to go to a hospital so don't just say, have it at home.

The public hospital in San Isidro is nicer than Rivadavia. Hospital Aleman is very good, and did you try Hospital Italiano? We have OSDE and had ours at Sanatario Anchorena which was nice, but it's a Kirchner project so may be able to offer a decent price.

However really, you either want to go to a public hospital OR get full insurance coverage. If you try to get away with just paying the birth period be sure that it covers all possiblities -- ie cesarian which includes anaesthetist and few nights of stay, here everyone wants you do to an epidural so really you're going to have to pay an anaesthetist as well. Also does it cover neonatal needs? What if something goes wrong and your baby needs further care? What exactly are they defining as birth period? Are they covering the first 3 months of care? Because you have an awful lot of checkups during that time.

If you have a car San Isidro may be an option but obviously with labour and delivery there's a lot of unknowns as in the birth doesn''t necessarily come conveniently and easily. Also you have a lot of checkups you hopefully are following through with at the public hospital in the meantime -- I assume otherwise you've been paying these out of pocket?

And no, you can't just have it at home and if you did you'd want a midwife -- and most here work hand in hand with doctors, not on their own -- and if anything went wrong you'd have to have ambulance service and hospital anyway so that would involve costs as it is.

It is a very difficult decision to make. I stayed in Australia to have my first born since that was where I had my health insurance. You might consider doing some domestic birth tourism. We have a nice hospital here in Villa la Angostura, but without a neonatal unit. If you are not tied to Buenos Aires for the month before the birth this may be an option, although it does sound crazy.

A friend of mine had hers all public, said the service she received was excellent- let me know if you want more info.

I agree. 20K pesos in todays times is 'peanuts'.

Not if you live in pesos.

That being said - to the OP, assuming you can afford it - I would do the Aleman plan. You'll have a lot of visits btwn now and the birth, plus ecos, plus tons of appts after the birth. And that's assuming all goes smoothly.

If not, plenty of people do use public hospitals and while it might not be the most glamorous experience, the care can be very good.

I suggest HA. I got it when she was 8 months. I paid 12.000 cash and the a7. They did a great job and the "hotel" is excellent. She had to be operated later for an infection (her responsability) and it was well done.

Public hospitals are very good but there is no privacy, that's it.

Back