Health Insurance? Rates for foreigners?

RayMorg

Registered
Hello!

I am in the process of preparing to leave for Argentina in November! And so I am now working on what kind of health insurance I should purchase.

For those familiar with the US, I am opting between the major/medical coverage or choosing coverage that includes doctor visits. There is a definite monetary gap between the two, so I am wondering what others have experienced as foreigners seeking health care in Argentina. Are the rates reasonable enough to pay as you go, or are visits more costly, as in US$100 or more.

Gracias

Rachel

Hello!

I am in the process of preparing to leave for Argentina in November! And so I am now working on what kind of health insurance I should purchase.

For those familiar with the US, I am opting between the major/medical coverage or choosing coverage that includes doctor visits. There is a definite monetary gap between the two, so I am wondering what others have experienced as foreigners seeking health care in Argentina. Are the rates reasonable enough to pay as you go, or are visits more costly, as in US$100 or more.

Gracias

Rachel

If you enroll in the Medicus expatconnection group plan you can get full coverage (including dental) with no co-pay for less than $150U$D per month. The sign up fee is at least $200U$S, but it's worth it!

Thanks for the reply, Steve.

Can you explain to me more about Medicus? Is Medicus an Argentine company? Do I purchase it after arriving in Argentina? Where can I find more information about the process for enrolling? Is it a specific plan for expats in BsAs? Have you used it yet? How long have you had it? How did you obtain it? Can I obtain it before arriving in Argentina?

USD$150 sounds incredible for full coverage, and USD$200 is a reasonable sign-up fee.

Is Medicus an Argentine company? yes.

Do I purchase it after arriving in Argentina? yes

Where can I find more information about the process for enrolling? You can find the expatconnection on line (Martin Frankel).

Is it a specific plan for expats in BsAs? yes

Have you used it yet? yes

How long have you had it? about 2 years

How did you obtain it? I signed up after contacting expatconnection.

Can I obtain it before arriving in Argentina? I don't think so, but coverage is immediate.

USD$150 sounds incredible for full coverage, and USD$200 is a reasonable sign-up fee. yes, it is.

That does sounds like a great deal.

One thing I have read a lot on these forums in my own search for insurance is that the costs for youngins to get private health insurance is incredibly low, lower than 150-200. Then, the cost rises substantially as you get older. Your age should be a factor in your decision!

emilyr said:
That does sounds like a great deal.

One thing I have read a lot on these forums in my own search for insurance is that the costs for youngins to get private health insurance is incredibly low, lower than 150-200. Then, the cost rises substantially as you get older. Your age should be a factor in your decision!

It is a great deal and I'm 60!

You can get private heath insurance here for the same price as the Argentines pay and it's extremely good quality and good price. I use Swiss Medical and pay 300 pesos a month which at the moment is equivalent to 75 dollars a month. Plus I don't know what your status will be here but even if you only have a tourist visa you can get it. http://www.swissmedical.com.ar/frontend/

Besides swiss medical there are several other options of good quality and affordable healthcare here.

Oh, also I feel like I should have mentioned that it's pretty simple and easy to get health insurance here. All I did was walk into their office and say I wanted health insurance, we talked about potential plans, I picked one and walked out fully covered. I know there are weird rules and stuff that make it difficult in the US but it's not like that here. So don't worry too much! Also, if you don't have private healthcare here the public hospitals are free (usually free for non argentines as well). Good luck!

Wow, Laurel, thanks!

Could you list some of the other names of the companies you know of so when I arrive I know who to look for so I can shop around?

Back