Health Insurance

Caribbean Cool

Registered
I am 75. I am going to stay here permanently in Buenos Aires. I am happy to self insure for everyday problems. But cancer is another story. Any suggestions for where to get insurance would be appreciated. Please, just private coverage. Thank you.

I am 75. I am going to stay here permanently in Buenos Aires. I am happy to self insure for everyday problems. But cancer is another story. Any suggestions for where to get insurance would be appreciated. Please, just private coverage. Thank you.
You may want to get in touch with Hospital Italiano. They offer health insurance for us older folks at reasonable prices. Will they insure you at 75? At what cost? I don't know, but it won't hurt to contact them.

Another alternative is OSDE - the country's largest 'obra social' or healthcare provider. I've been covered by them for 15 years and I never cease to be amazed at the quality of service I get. With my standard '210' plan I get free doctor, dentist, physiotherapist, clinical studies, X-rays, colonoscopy, and anything else my doctor may order for me as a precaution - I've never had to pay a cent en extras or deductibles. One monthly payment (of $16,288 - for me 55 years old and my 16 year old son) covers it all, plus discount on any medicines they prescribe. They have so many affiliated professionals that, if you live in CABA, you never have to go more than a few blocks to get treated.

The Argie Law says no legal permanent resident of any age can be refused coverage, even with preexisting conditions ..!
However..! the rate is not posted/established must be evaluated individually ... OSDE requires a battery of tests for over 70 yo. to determine the rate $$
Hospital Italiano is Good , Hospital Aleman also good $$, Can't afforded it.

My info is a FEW years old...!

Another alternative is OSDE - the country's largest 'obra social' or healthcare provider. I've been covered by them for 15 years and I never cease to be amazed at the quality of service I get. With my standard '210' plan I get free doctor, dentist, physiotherapist, clinical studies, X-rays, colonoscopy, and anything else my doctor may order for me as a precaution - I've never had to pay a cent en extras or deductibles. One monthly payment (of $16,288 - for me 55 years old and my 16 year old son) covers it all, plus discount on any medicines they prescribe. They have so many affiliated professionals that, if you live in CABA, you never have to go more than a few blocks to get treated.

OSDE has Great plans and good service. Lucky you entered for coverage at 40 years old and they still offer an economic plan..

However I would venture to say that for a newcomer aged 75 years old, the rate may be 4 times higher ? still with the Blue dollar would be like US$400. not bad

I recently had an excellent experience at Sanatorio Otamendi using my Medicus insurance. I’m on a corporate plan that in 2014 was suggested by someone on this baexpats site. Here’s an even older post about Medicus. It says here something about needing to be under 65.

You can get access to prices/plans from Swiss Medical here. https://asociarme.swissmedical.com.ar/planes

A sales rep will email you after you complete the form, but they’re not bothersome.

So I am still eligible for the plan "joven" jaja but not for too long. Question, will they just hike up my premium as soon as I get older or as long as I stick with the same plan/provider they are not allowed to increase my premium due to age (just general increase die to inflation etc.)?

Question, will they just hike up my premium as soon as I get older or as long as I stick with the same plan/provider they are not allowed to increase my premium due to age (just general increase die to inflation etc.)?

When I first got the medical insurance here, I paid 145 pesos per month. Make a wild guess, has it increased since then? :)

I believe there is a regulation here that does not allow insurance companies to increase premiums when you get to 65 and had at least 10 years of continuous coverage with the company.

The industry is somewhat regulated, maximum allowed increases are imposed from time to time, but in general insurance premiums go up almost every month.

Back