Hello from Canada - Have some questions

Dividizzl

Registered
Hello, i have joined this site in hopes of finding travel info about Argentina specifically Buenos Aires.

I'm not sure if you will be able to help me as i realize this forum is for people residing in BA and not just travelling.

I am planning on taking the TEFL/TEFOL course in early to mid 2013 in BA. This course is an intensive 4 week course so i guess some could consider that i will be a very temporary expat. I am also strongly considering taking a spanish course before or after the TEFL/TEFOL course seeing as my knowledge of Spanish pretty much ends at 'hola'. Yes, i will be teaching english but i figure learning at least a few things of spanish will be handy.

Moving on, i'd like to know some travel advise about the general area of Buenos Aires. I am a female in my early 20s and will be travelling alone. I realize that anywhere you go there is a risk but i have heard some horror stories regarding pick pockets. How likely is this to happen? Does it even make a difference if i am a female or male? age etc? How safe is it walking the streets alone... or walking alone after dark? Obviously i hope to make friends and hope to travel in at least pairs when ever i can but when first getting settled in getting to know everything how much risk would you say a someone like myself would be in?

Are there any areas that i should absolutely stay clear of? I have heard the borders are rough. I likely will not be going through those unless i go with a large tour group which i assume in that instance would be safe.

Also just to compare what the prices for things in comparison to the american or canadian dollar? Say a cup of coffee or a meal or shopping etc.

Lastly(for now), i am going for 4 weeks possible longer if i do decide to take the spanish course there, do you know if i would need a visa for that? I was looking into it briefly and it said if i was studying or working then i would likely need a visa.... Also if i understood this correctly if i get the visa i wont have to pay entrance/exit fees. Is that right?

Oh and if you have any useful links about the general travel information about Argentina and BA please share them.

Thanks in advanced.

M

I'm from Canada also, and I feel perfectly safe here. Granted, I had my iPhone stolen within the first two weeks... anyway, daily life here is really no different than any other big city. There are areas in Toronto and especially Vancouver that I wouldn't go to after dark (or even during the day), which is not a problem because there is usually no real reason to go to them in the first place (unless you are into ghetto tourism, which is gross IMHO).

Stick to the San Telmo, Recoleta, Palermo, Congreso, etc., and you will be fine, but still on guard, I'd say mainly for thieves. As for pickpockets, don't carry your valuables when wandering around, don't take all of your money and ID out with you, etc. It is common sense. And of course, the thing about pickpockets is that they are sneaky so you don't even know that something is missing until later! Put the money you do have in the inside pocket of your bag, etc.

You don't need a visa to take a Spanish course, but you will have to pay about $65 for a 90 tourist visa when entering the country. You pay when you arrive, at the airport.

You also will have to get used to your CDN money dropping in value! The main currency is Argentinian pesos, but landlords/apartment agencies will want you to pay in USD. Almost all tourist-type activities that I've come across are advertised in USD as well, and the language school I go to asks for USD (although you can pay in pesos, but they don't give the best exchange rate... so-- one week of classes is advertised at $195 USD, which in pesos is more like $250 CDN once you've paid all of the bank fees and done the exchange).

In the first month I was here, I spent about $3000 CDN-- on rent, the deposit, language classes, etc. A Starbucks coffee costs more than in Canada, that's for sure, but I find that everything costs more here (except public transportation).

Hello,

Thank you for your prompt and informative response.

I am actually from Vancouver so i can relate to your post very well.

The company that i am booking the courses with also has accommodation and cellphone included. Hopefully i wont get too ripped off in that instance but thanks for your input. I will be sure to bring some american dollars along with pesos.

Would you recommend getting those wallets that go under clothes or is that too extreme? Is it safe carrying a designer bag or should i stick to my lower end bag or even a back pack?

Also how much English would you say people know? Would it be better for me to take a Spanish course ahead of time or will i be fine if i take one while i first get there and speak english and a few very basic spanish phrases or words until i learn some beginner level spanish.

Id do as much spanish as you can beforehand, you will enjoy it here more and you will improve it (assuming you want to learn Spanish!) faster if you can have conversations with the locals when you get here.

Just be generally street smart, no flashing expensive phones and electronics and only take stuff out of the house when you need it (dont take your passport, heaps of cash and cards etc). Dont not live your life, but be careful. If you going to take the subte, perhaps leave the designer bag and expensive jewellery at home, or atleast be vary careful of it.

I wouldnt worry about buying a special wallet, just keep it in your pocket (not back packet or jacket pocket on outside) and pay particular attention on the subte (if you take it) and in crowded places. If you take a bag with you (on the subte), keep close hold (you will notice the locals how they do it anyway!).

I took a Spanish course in university about 10 years ago and I've travelled quite a bit in Mexico. My Spanish was really quite limited when I arrived, but I had the basics, i.e., a bit more than 'hola.'

Trennod is correct. Try to take a Spanish class before arriving... and take a Spanish class as soon as you arrive. You will happy that you did both. If you have arranged your visit with a company, then ask them about language schools because they should be able to arrange this part of the trip as well.

Trennod is also correct about leaving the designer bag at home. As for backpacks, most people here wear them facing the front-- instead of on their backs-- as a preventative measure against theft. I just use a shoulder/cross-body bag (from Roots) that I try to keep an eye on.

It is hard for me to say whether or not Argentinians speak a lot of English. It depends on who you are interacting with. I would say that they are certainly used to tourists and can be quite helpful. And it is, of course, totally possible to communicate with hand signals (by pointing at the item in the menu, for instance).

Lulu-Kyoko said:
Trennod is correct. Try to take a Spanish class before arriving... and take a Spanish class as soon as you arrive. You will happy that you did both. If you have arranged your visit with a company, then ask them about language schools because they should be able to arrange this part of the trip as well.

Bear in mind that the way Spanish is spoken in Buenos Aires is different from most other forms of Spanish.

Pronunciation is distinctive and different. Most apparent (which stumped me somewhat when I first came across it) is that vocabulary varies and there are some particular differences you will come across because locals will find them funny. There are grammar differences too such as the second person personal subject pronoun Vos not Tu with slight differences in conjugation.

Not to stop you taking some classes in Vancouver beforehand. Just don't be totally dispirited when you arrive hear and everyone seems to be speaking another form of ? Spanish? which here most call castellano but the variant is known as rioplatenese elsewhere.

You can google to get fuller explanations e,g

http://transpanish.biz/translation_blog/linguistic-features-of-rioplatense-river-plate-spanish/

One of my brothers is a College Professor living in Vancouver and is learning spanish as it happens so Ill email him and ask if he knows any rioplatenese varient teachers - you might be in luck!

hi, regarding thieves, common sense applies as mentioned previously

in a starbucks outlet, an argentine entered, left hi backpack on a sofa then went to order at the counter

5 minutes later (to his suprise !) his backpack was gone and he started complaining about the insecurity !

thieves target touristy places like Starbucks, Mcd's, BK and many local coffee store chains

never leave anything unattended and if a stranger asks you a question, just be alert, maybe his friend is behind you emptying you bag

the coffee / mustard etc spill is a classic

however, it is petty theft and not generally dangerous

if you are looking for work as an english teacher, I run a virtual team of ten native teachers and could maybe help you

failing that, i can point you in the right direction regarding which institutes to avoid / flock too

if you have some idea of the IELTS examination, it would probably be as or more useful than TOEFL

i have scores of students emigrating every year to Australia / New Zealand / the UK etc

IELTS the exam in this case, not TOEIC or TOEFL

hope this helps

ben milne

Thank you for everyone's responses! I have taken the time to read each and every one of them.

I have looked at a few different companies offering the TESOL/TEFL certification. I have also looked into other destinations, not just Argentina. I've even looked at institutions in my own city offering it. I decided that i wanted to have the experience of taking it abroad.

Originally i was thinking of taking it somewhere in Asia but when looking at the other options Argentina stuck out for me. Nothing against Asia, but it's just not at the top of my list for foreign places to visit. Admittedly, neither is Argentina but in terms of places where English is not the native tongue its pretty high on my list.

Anyway back on track, the company that i am very strongly considering going with also offers the Spanish courses as well which is quite convenient. The company is GIC Argentina. If anyone knows anything about them please let me know or if you have any recommendations of other companies or ones to avoid.

After reading your responses i think i will at the very least do some self teaching of Spanish. Being Canadian, i took French in high school and even that has pretty much gone over head now. So learning another language again will be interesting. I also have a colleague from Peru who knows Spanish and has offered to help me learn the language or if i get stuck with any thing.

Regarding the theft, if for instance you do happen to catch them in the midst of their actions would you stop them? Or would you recommend just surrendering your valuables. I have read mixed things about this. I guess the main thing im wondering is if they carry any weapons or anything. I've heard some people say if they are confronted they will just bolt, others will get violent. I guess this is sort of a dumb question. It's obviously not smart to try and fight back on an attacker but really if they're stealing something valuable and there's only one of them.... or better yet if i were to have pepper spray(haha).

Thank you.

M

Seriously, if you catch someone stealing from you, just give them what they want. You are a foreigner, you don't speak the language, and even if you have a black belt, it would be really stupid to try to fight! Don't forget that these people often travel in packs, so it's not just the thief you have to worry about, but all of their friends.

The trick is to NOT carry anything valuable with you. Leave your pricy stuff and passport at home, don't carry tons of cash, etc. You might also want to google "Buenos Aires scams" or "Buenos Aires pickpockets" so that you know some of their tricks.

I had my iPhone stolen... because I was stupid! It wasn't in the inside pocket of my bag, and (I think) it was stolen in the subte. Someone asked me for directions and it was pretty easy for them to grab it, and they did it with such stealth that I had no idea it was gone until I went to take a photo of something. Maybe if I had noticed, I might of said "hey, that's my phone", but even then I would not have chased after them.

I also had "find my phone" enabled so was able to track it down-- even here-- but are you kidding? There is NO way I would have gone and confronted whoever it was that had it.

Back