Hello from Medellin

folklore

Registered
Hello BAExpats!

Me, retired software engineer. low mid fifties. :)

My wife is retired paralegal who has recently returned to university in the eeuu, online.

Both US citizens, my wife also holds Colombian citzenship. We moved to Medellin from Arizona a year and a half ago and while we do think Medellin is a wonderful city we look for new culture experiences and honestly a better feeling of safety.

I hope to learn much from this forum to make our adjustment from Medellin to BA smooooooth!

So we will be looking at the pensionado visa (past the tourist visa) and on moving to BA (sept/oct) time frame.

Best Regards,

Vincent and Luz

ooh interesting -- I'd love to hear from you and "Lee" (one of the members of this forum. In his signature line he says he's looking to maybe move TO Colombia... would be interesting to hear if what each of your reasons are for wanting to get out of your respective countries and move to the other one!

Hello there,
I am colombian, from Bogotá, I am not sure how insecure would be Medellín, but as I am living in Buenos Aires, I can tell you this city isn,t behind it. I think it is a big problem around latinoamerica. But let me tell you something however Buenos Aires has great arquitecture is no compered with the warm and happines from people at Medellín and any other city in Colombia.

folklore said:
Hello BAExpats!

Me, retired software engineer. low mid fifties. :)
My wife is retired paralegal who has recently returned to university in the eeuu, online.
Both US citizens, my wife also holds Colombian citzenship. We moved to Medellin from Arizona a year and a half ago and while we do think Medellin is a wonderful city we look for new culture experiences and honestly a better feeling of safety.
I hope to learn much from this forum to make our adjustment from Medellin to BA smooooooth!
So we will be looking at the pensionado visa (past the tourist visa) and on moving to BA (sept/oct) time frame.
Best Regards, Vincent and Luz

tashkja said:
Hello there,
I am colombian, from Bogotá, I am not sure how insecure would be Medellín but as I am living in Buenos Aires, I can tell you this city isn,t behind it.

I help you to Find Out.... tashkja

SAFETY AND SECURITY in COLOMBIA: Link

While security in Colombia has improved significantly in recent years, violence by narco-terrorist groups continues to affect some rural areas as well as large cities. The potential for violence by terrorists and other criminal elements exists in all parts of the country.

In recent months there has been a marked increase in violent crime in Colombia. Murder rates have risen significantly in some major cities, particularly Medellin and Cali.

Kidnapping remains a serious threat.

American citizens have been the victim of violent crime, including kidnapping and murder

Firearms are prevalent in Colombia and altercations can often turn violent. Small towns and rural areas of Colombia can still be extremely dangerous due to the presence of narco-terrorists.

Common crime also remains a significant problem in many urban and rural areas. For additional details about the general criminal threat, please see the Department of State's Country Specific Information for Colombia.

I think folklore (Vincent and Luz) got a point there, and no I don't think there is a similar situation here.

Colombia while a beautiful country with friendly people also a right wing government that does not respect human rights as well as huge crime issues outside of very few neighbourhoods of Bogota and Cartegena.

Crime in Argentina is never as violent as Colombia where kidnappings are common .

cabrera said:
Colombia while a beautiful country with friendly people also a right wing government

And I take it then that you might prefer to hang your hat next door in the home of Mr Chavez?

'crime issues outside of very few neighbourhoods of Bogota and Cartegena.'

Any citations or references to support this? Anything more than hunches and hearsay?

twin said:
And I take it then that you might prefer to hang your hat next door in the home of Mr Chavez?

'crime issues outside of very few neighbourhoods of Bogota and Cartegena.'

Any citations or references to support this? Anything more than hunches and hearsay?

No really, nothing more nothing less that EE.UU seems wish to make a war close to home between
Colombia and Venezuela so it can be more winnable
That's all....nothing new under the sun.

Back