Hello! Just moved to BA with a friend - seeking EMPLOYMENT!

AnnaliseF

Registered
Hi! A friend and I just moved to Palermo from the US. We both graduated from Northwestern University in Chicago. We're planning on staying in BA for 6 months (mas o menos), and we're both looking for anything we can do to support ourselves that doesn't involve prostitution or drug smuggling! haha So, if anyone has any leads on jobs for an enthusiastic, bright and desperate recent college grad, please respond to this thread!

Other than the job issue, we're so glad to be here and to potentially meet some of you!

What are your Spanish Language skills? Majors at NU?

AnnaliseF said:
So, if anyone has any leads on jobs for an enthusiastic, bright and desperate recent college grad, please respond to this thread!

Welcome and just a friendly word of advice since you are looking for work and a recent college grad--don't sell yourself short and never use the word "desperate". It makes it look as if you have nothing to offer and right off the bat it gives the employer a leg up. That, and not to mention you'll only attract exploitative employers. God knows there are enough of them here (in BAs that is).

Best of luck to you.

ETA: You might try posting your resume or skills in the Job section. I did that once. Didn't really turn up anything but its a thought.

Are you aware of your visa situation, therefore if you are able to apply to a job at a company or you are going to work as freelance, for instance?

Let me tell you that to apply for a job you need to have a DNI and a CUIL (you may search for further info in this forum, there are many previous threads on the subjects) Let us know if you need some piece of information.

jb5 - My Spanish isn't great - still trying to understand the accent, but i'm taking classes right now. I majored in Journalism and Art History.

everyone else - thanks for the advice!

AnnaliseF said:
We're planning on staying in BA for 6 months (mas o menos), and we're both looking for anything we can do to support ourselves that doesn't involve prostitution or drug smuggling! haha
best option is to get a job in another country working through the internet and getting paid in a foreign currency.

A reasonable salary in Argentina is around $US 600 - a month, and at 40 hours/week - unless you have something special to offer.

As has been stated already, you'll need a DNI (if you qualify that should only take a couple of months) and a CUIL to work en blanco in Argentina.

some of us are meeting for drinks tonight at post street bar on thames and nicaragua in palermo if you want to come say hi!

I am from Chicago (and lived in Evanston) as well and considering making the move to BA. Please keep me posted on how things are there. I would suggest checking out teaching English classes by skype, some of the schools, or writing for some of the USs travel magazines. These are just some suggestions. Go wildcats!

Back