Hello, needing advice

Kayem

Registered
Hello. So, I’ve actually been reading these forums for awhile now but have never posted. I sort of have a dilemma and am hoping I can receive advice from those who have gone through the experience. To get right into it, I’m 25 years old and moved here with my boyfriend who is Argentine. I met him at work while living in Miami (he was on a work visa) and when he asked me to move back with him, I happily agreed. I currently have my FBI background check and birth certificate, both of which are apostilled. They will be translated shortly. My situation lies with which temporary residency to apply under. Technically, I don’t qualify under any category. I wouldn’t mind becoming a student but my Spanish still needs much improvement and right now, I am studying violin in hopes of one day meeting the audition requirements to study music education. I played sax and oboe prior but I believe my heart lies with strings. I don’t have any income from the United States so rentista is out of the question. And then there’s the most obvious solution, marriage. This is the option I would like to take but when discussing with my boyfriend; he didn’t like the idea of marriage simply for convenience. I don’t want to push him into the idea because I’d honestly like to know he married me because he wanted to.

I've actually been living here for about 7 or 8 months now and would like to apply before my 90-days are up. While I like Colonia, it does become expensive after awhile.

Thank you in advance for any insight you may provide,
Kari

Baby w/o marriage is another option.

Otherwise, I'd look into a student visa. And if you don't qualify, then change that. Sign up for courses that would render you qualified.

The annoying this about the student visa is it doesn't lead to permanent residency, and I am intending make Argentina my home. Unfortunately, having a baby isn't an option for us right now. I'd like us to both be settled before bringing something as challenging as raising child into the world. Someday. =]

Good luck, I hope it is better than mine. I got married to an Argentine in 1983, bought an apartment in BA, have a good job and income here, spent a lot of time and money in police records, finger prints, birth certificates, marriage certificate (registro civil) translations, legalizations, and my documents are still "en tramite" after 25 years! I had an appointment at Immigration (Antartida Argentina) for Monday, but was not able to fly in due to the volcano. In the meantime Argentina has allowed the Colombian drug loard Pablo Escobar's family to become residents, but they are afraid of me. Maybe it will take another 25 years, and I will be only 92 years old.

Kayem said:
The annoying this about the student visa is it doesn't lead to permanent residency, and I am intending make Argentina my home. Unfortunately, having a baby isn't an option for us right now. I'd like us to both be settled before bringing something as challenging as raising child into the world. Someday. =]

I was under the assumption that it did. After 3 years here on a student visa, you could go for permanent residency. But I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know. Good luck. Hell, you might be "with child" in 2 to 3 years. That stuff's contagious and a lot of Argentine women "catch it".

Student visas do not lead to permanent residency.

If you intend to make Argentina your home I suggest you consider citizenship. You do not have to have a foreign income or even temporary residency, just live here for two years and be able to demonstrate a legal means of living. You don't have to be married to an Argentine or have a baby and you don't even have to have a "valid" tourist visa.

Going to Colonia won't really make any difference in the long run.

I sympathise. And I admire you for not taking the easy marriage/baby route but building your relationship on the things that matter to you both. Another option would be to apply for citizenship. This would be a decision you could make for yourself without obligating anybody else and it wouldn't compromise your US citizenship either. A person may become a citizen after two years in the country and it's been established that you may start the process much sooner than that because the two years may include the time it takes to process. Another advantage is that if you are in process of becoming a citizen it is not possible for migraciones to suddenly decide they want to deport you (unless you've held up a bank or something) so your place in Argentina is somewhat more secure.

Bajocero2 has written lots about citizenship on this forum: I'd suggest you use the search term 'citizenship' or simply read through the listing of Bajocero2's posts to the group.

And good luck!

steveinbsas said:
Student visas do not lead to permanent residency.

If you intend to make Argentina your home I suggest you consider citizenship.

Ha! Snap!

Even the same time stamp too :)

Thank you, I'll look up his posts. I wouldn't mind obtaining citizenship... like I said, I'm not going anywhere. I just don't want to jeopardize my US citizenship, simply because I have all of my family there. I'm a bit of a worrier so I'm hesitant not keeping my visa valid. I should note that I've applied for one extension while visiting San Luis, so I am in the system.

I hope I can get this all figured out relatively quickly. I'm happy to be living here. While I'm still adjusting to not having the things I've taken for granted in the US; I think I have grown as a person much more while living in Argentina. The only thing holding me back is my castellano. I dunno why but I am so nervous to speak... and normally when I do, it comes out all wrong because of nerves. It doesn't help that I'm a naturally shy and quiet person. Currently, my means of living is my boyfriend. He had saved up a decent amount before we moved and is currently employed here. I'm pretty fortunate because he takes great care of me. Of course, I'd like to contribute someday. Pretty recently, I returned to my high school 'dream' of becoming a music educator. I figured out while listening to a local band in San Luis that my only regret was giving up music... so now, I'm back at.

Back