Hello, We Haven't Left Yet!

mamayogibear

Registered
I am planning on moving to Argentina with my two kids in the near future. I am a nurses aid here in the US and hope to eventually become a nurse while living in Buenos Aires. I only have enough money saved up to live without working for a couple of months so I need to find a job. Is it possible to find a job without speaking Spanish? Are there nursing homes for senior citizens like there are here in the states? What is daycare like? Are there programs to get free daycare for foreigners who work for local businesses?
Thanks

I would do A LOT of research before you come down here to work in the medical field. Just my thinking... but do not do it!!!! not to be negitive... but you need to really re-think the plan!!!
I believe that nurses here make maybe about 1/10th of what a nurse in the USA makes. It looks like you speak no spanish or limited spanish.... so just my thinking but stay in the USA become a nurse there and make 60-80,000 dollars or more a year... dont come down here with limited spanish skills and the cost of living is close as it is to the USA.. so there is no bargain here anymore... IT is a great city.. a adventure and all that but to move 2 children and to think you are going to get a nurses aid job while you work on getting a nurses degree and have day care and all .... sounds like a real fantasy.....
do your research and think about staying in the US and getting a nurse degree there since the demand is still good for nursing and you can make a lot more there in that field.. well that is my 2 cents!!! good luck

Maybe you can become a cuidapersonas con cama adentro for about 600 peso a month. You wont need to rent an apartment neither and you got free food

You really should reconsider. Buenos Aires isn't a bargain anymore. A few months income will be gone before you know it. Jobs are hard to come by (especially with no Spanish). Your likely to end up stuck here broke with kids.

You are kidding right? You have two kids to take care of? I think you will have trouble finding work without speaking Spanish in your field. I do not know of any programs for free daycare. I really doubt they exist and if they do, I wouldn´t want to put my kids there (if I had kids).

How would you pay rent, school, and daycare? It is hard to find cheap rent if you aren´t a local. You might be paying dollar prices especially at the beginning but, while you are earning pesos. Good daycare is a cost too. Schools too. Although there is public education, most families that can pay for private schools.

There are nursing homes here but, it seems more common for people to stay in their homes and have live-in caretakers or, caretakers that come very often. Would you be able to leave your kids for several nights at a time? For my husband´s grandma here we have someone that can stay the night. Her job is tough. She also cooks and cleans.

Argentines don't get benefits / rebates for daycare, so you won't at all. Daycare costs for 2 kids will consume a lot of any salary. You will not be able to get a local rate on an apartment without a guarantia so your rent will be in the 1000 dollar range if you want 2 bedrooms.

It is not a good idea to come here with 2 kids unless you have a lot more money saved. You're a foreigner, even the few programmes (ie Asistencia Universal por hijo) the government has introduced are only for low income Argentines - and they're only 180 pesos a month I believe.

mamayogibear said:
I am planning on moving to Argentina with my two kids in the near future. I am a nurses aid here in the US and hope to eventually become a nurse while living in Buenos Aires. I only have enough money saved up to live without working for a couple of months so I need to find a job. Is it possible to find a job without speaking Spanish? Are there nursing homes for senior citizens like there are here in the states? What is daycare like? Are there programs to get free daycare for foreigners who work for local businesses?
Thanks

In short - no. Without Spanish, you won't be able to find work. Nursing homes are not common. Daycare is quite expensive for a good private program - as is every other thing in Buenos Aires. Inflation is 30% a year and prices continue to rise.

With all due respect, I don't think your proposed idea is a good one. I would strongly recommend staying where you are, getting your nurses license and saving up a lot of money (ie, enough to support you and your kids for *at least* a year). Learn Spanish. Then think about coming down here.

Barney said:
Maybe you can become a cuidapersonas con cama adentro for about 600 peso a month. You wont need to rent an apartment neither and you got free food

This sounds ideal to me. I would like being a live in caregiver while I get to know the customs and culture of my new community.
I suppose the best thing to do would be finish nursing school here in the states and work as a RN for a few years to save up money to buy a house in Argentina.
But if I were to go sooner, how can an American find a person to lease an apartment for a year at a local rate instead of tourist rates? Are there brokers or agents that would put a lease in their name if I paid a year (in pesos as advertised in a local newspaper) up front?
Thanks

No offense at all but, is this someone joking around? I never know anymore because so many people seem to have fantasies about coming here. At least if you come, be realistic.

600 pesos a month is 150 dollars or so.
You can´t get a local rate for an apartment without knowing someone. Even if you did, you can´t find anything for less than 150 a month that would be worth it for you and two kids.

The job you described as ideal is a live-in job normally. What would you do with your kids? They wouldn´t provide space for your kids.

mamayogibear said:
This sounds ideal to me. I would like being a live in caregiver while I get to know the customs and culture of my new community.
I suppose the best thing to do would be finish nursing school here in the states and work as a RN for a few years to save up money to buy a house in Argentina.
But if I were to go sooner, how can an American find a person to lease an apartment for a year at a local rate instead of tourist rates? Are there brokers or agents that would put a lease in their name if I paid a year (in pesos as advertised in a local newspaper) up front?
Thanks

If you are willing to pay up like 6 months up front you can probally get a 2 year lease at local rates, but you then would have to buy furniture and stuff

The going rate for a cuidapersonas sin cama adentro is prolly around 1200/1500 peso and ideally you would be home at night

Back