Hellooo..... I'm planning on BsAs next year

January

Registered
Hi, I'm from Australia, F, in my 30's and am planning on a bit of a temporary lifestyle change next year, with the added bonus of learning Spanish. I am fairly well travelled but have dreamed of going back to BA ever since I visited a couple of years ago.

I'm wondering what my chances of picking up some kind of paid work without the work visa (and no Spanish) would be. After trawling through the forums (and a visit to the Arg consulate here) it seems to be a bit doom and gloom :( I am not too keen on teaching English and was hoping to maybe get a hospitality job (although I know there are plenty of locals that would be able to fill these positions). Do I have any chance?

I also just wanted to mention what a great and informative site this is for newbies :) All replies are welcome.

Cheerios

January said:
Do I have any chance?
Not really, unless perhaps you can locate a prosperous Ozzie family that may need a maid, babysitter, etc. Maybe you could check with the AU consulate here in BA to see if they have a list of your compatriots looking for house staff. Of course, there are some aspects of the "hospitality" trade that are international in scope if you are an adventuress.

Thanks for the advice. HHmmmmm adventuress, I guess I'll see what happens lol.

Here is my advice: With the right contacts (as anywhere in the world) you can find a job. But some things I can get you thinking about. First, how's your spanish? You'll need a bit more than basics to convince someone to give you a job. But I don't think being "native fluent" is necessary especially if you are looking to work in a hospitality field. (I mean you will not be "talking down" suicide jumpers). Second, look for places and areas that cater to tourists where your English will help. Keep in mind, its not just Aussies, Brits, and Yanks. A lot of foreign tourists that do not speak Spanish, fall back to English. Very few Chinese, or even Brazilian tourists expect the locals to speak Mandarin, or even Portugese (which surprised me) so they will use English. Which is a big plus for you. Restaurants (modern ones, or tourist spots), Hotels, etc. Non-traditional spots that will get a younger crowd more likely to speak english as well. Third, you are not Argentine...for employers a good thing. A huge thing here is dealing with employees and especially firing bad ones. When meeting with a potential employer definitely make them aware that you are familiar with the "at-will" employee concept. Now that's not to say: "Yeah new boss, you can fire me", but rather.."hey, I will not sue you if you fire me from the restaurant job, and I will not expect severance" I feel this gives you a leg up on the locals for sure as I have heard many horror stories about trying to get rid of bad employees. Just my opinion as someone that hires people.

Finally, I think just get here first. As I said to start. Contacts are everything. You need them everywhere and they are hard to make remotely unless its family.

Suerte(good luck)

Back