Help finding apartment

duanestorey

Registered
Hi,

I'm moving to Buenos Aires from Vancouver, Canada, and am looking for a one-bedroom or a studio in Palermo Soho. What's the best way to find a room in the area? I've been looking at craigslist, but it seems like they are all catering to foreigners and it's mostly the same listings.

If anyone can offer any advice, that would be great! Thanks.

I've been here for 10 days looking for an apt. and finally found one today. Unfortunately, the second you start looking for furnished apts., you most likely have to go through agencies which target expats (which means higher prices). My best advice is to be patient and visit as many places and negotiate on the ones you really like. If you are staying for 6 mo. or longer, they should lower the price. But I also found that offering a cash advance on your rent will most def. help lower the price. An alternative would be to look for unfurnished places which might make it cheaper because those types of apt. are targeted to portenos. However, you will be dealing w argentinean agents who might not speak any english! Good luck and also keep in mind that Palermo SOHO is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in BA.

Good websites to start looking at for furnished apts:
soloduenos.com
inmuebles.clarin.com
aviso.zonaprop.com.ar

I would definitely take the advice from the person above. The temporary rentals for foreigners are a total rip off and the renters for foreigners take advantage of it. It might be better to get, or make a good one, Argentine friend and find one apartment and negotiate yourself...you might want to take your friend who helps you to lunch for the gesture. Just to give you an idea an apartment that costs 500 US a month will be charged to you 500 US dollars a week!!!! (or more) just because it has some furniture...you can get furniture really cheap here and the transportation and moving is dirt cheap in comparison with the US (no UHaul here since labor is cheap all will be done for you for little).

Therefore, if you are here for 6 months avoid these rip offs...we will be helping then good expats who are making Argentine wages and can't afford these outrageous prices that are only catered to foreigners.

Knowledge is freedom!
Monica

Reactions: A&A
Postmodernchild said:
The temporary rentals for foreigners are a total rip off and the renters for foreigners take advantage of it.

A sweeping statement...

Postmodernchild said:
Just to give you an idea an apartment that costs 500 US a month will be charged to you 500 US dollars a week!!!! (or more) just because it has some furniture...you can get furniture really cheap here and the transportation and moving is dirt cheap in comparison with the US (no UHaul here since labor is cheap all will be done for you for little).

This will be because it has u$s10,000 plus of furniture, all expenses and services included in the rates including WiFi, telephone etc. If you are here fo 6 months and have to furnish an apartment, get connected it going to be a hassle and expensive.

Postmodernchild said:
just because it has some furniture..

Generally unfurnished apartments rent on a 2 year contract.

And yes you guessed it I am a foreigner with property here that I rent to foreigners; but I truly believe my property is well/competitively priced:

www.stayba.com

We have just spent about 5 days looking for a place and found one in Palermo, ad I have to agree with PostMod for the most part.

First, a lot of temps especially on Craigslist, and through agencies are "expensive" compared to the overall inventory. They are totally geared to tourists. Sure if its vacation they are good deals compared to a hotel, and as nice as any Hotel if not better, but they are not long term.

The problem however, (and we had this) is that unfurnished apartments (as most locals rent) are much much better deals, but they generally require a 2 year committment, a guarantor (who is someone that must own property in the Cap Fed city district), and completely unfurnished (a stove thats it,..not even light fixtures). So you will have to buy a fridge, a bed, furniture, plates, etc... so unless you know "I will be here for two years or more" it may not be worth it, even with inexpensive furniture.

That being said, we saw 2 amazing "local" apartments for under U$S1000 (all expenses including internet, cble, but no furniture.) But amazing about 950 sq. ft, french style, doorman, terrace, top floor). But they were on busy avenues and maybe not the ideal neighborhoods. I am sure more are out there, but in the end we decided to find a short term place until we get more of a feel for where we want to be and how long. $700 1 bedroom, with a den (for baby), with outdoor space, all expenses (internet/cable), in Palermo.

We used a friend of a local friend as a broker...and he was amazing. PM me for his name and he can help for sure. I can also share our experiences.

Back