Help...I Loathe Buenos Aires and I'm Stuck Here.

bullit19

Registered
Before anything, I'd like to make it clear that what follows is just an opinion.

I've lived here for about 9 months and my "prison sentence" ends in December. I didn't like the city when I first arrived, but I really thought that it would grow on me by now. The opposite is the case. Even if I ignore the crumbling infrastructure, high rate of thievery, rampant government corruption, ridiculous cost of living, and the insane rate of inflation, does this city have anything to offer other than the superficial? You know...the restaurants, clubs, stores, and trinket fairs? Anything relevant? Tango? Really? I've traveled through some of the country and continent and I've really enjoyed what I've experienced; however, I'm really disappointed with Buenos Aires. I know that there are many of you who do not agree with how I feel and I am not writing to insult you. I'm here until December and I'd like to make the best of it. Can someone please talk me into liking or being ok with this city? Thanks.

You need to move out of the city, and that applies to just about any city. Good luck.

I would say many of the things in your email are probabaly prevalent in many big cities globally and not only BA...

What were your expectations in the beginning?

I think after about 6 months I usually reach some sort of breaking point, but I soon recover. I think most people here can sympathize with you. I could go on and on about how much I like the city, but that's not going to help you at all. You need to figure out what you want and look for it. This city has just about everything, in my opinion -- like a lot of cities.

Buenos Aires and Argentina certainly have their problems, and sometimes they send you through the roof. But you have to try to concentrate on what you enjoy. Surely there has to be something, right?

Do you have a group of good friends, or maybe a boy/girlfriend? Even if the city itself is not for you, a trusted support network would make passing your time here infinitely easier. There are many local classes and clubs and social groups available, so I'd recommend getting involved in a few in order to meet people who share your interests.

Of course, if you're truly unhappy, it might be wisest to just move up your departure date. I don't know if your "prison sentence" is due to a job or study abroad program or what, but nothing is worth feeling miserable for another 6 months.

Troll (Internet)
From Wikipedia:

In Internet slang, a TROLL is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

A FOOL is someone who does what he or she doesn't like for an extended period of time.

not sure which of these applies....
n

Make some friends have some fun. Places should be about people not stuff. Make the best of it, December isn't that far away. If its really that bad for you why don't you leave now?

Back