Help With Thesis About Expats In Buenos Aires?

SMSA

Registered
Hello, I am an undergraduate student researching expatriates in South American cities, including Buenos Aires. I would absolutely love if anyone out there could answer a few questions/be willing to talk to me about your expat experience, it would go a long way to help my thesis- and be completely anonymous!

Even just a few basic answers to any of these questions would be extremely appreciated.

What neighborhood do you live in?
Why did you choose to live there?
In your impression, what types of people live there?
What areas do you feel like most expats live in?
Do you interact with mainly other expatriates or do you have many Argentinean friends? Was it difficult to make friends outside the expatriate community?
Do you speak Spanish?
Do you work, and if so what do you do?
Any other info about why you came to Buenos Aires?

Please help and thanks!

I live in downtown San Isidro, in the northern GBA.
My husband was born there and lived there as a kid. He knew the area and he thought it was a good fit for us, not too shockingly for me, and safe. It also had a smaller town feel compared to Capital, tree-lined streets, shorter buildings, and a 'centre' to walk through, so very similar to an European city.
It is really hard to give an answer for San Isidro because there is the historical part, the modern part, the residential part and even a favela. There are 300.000 inhabitants and the various areas are quite diverse, from big mansions facing the river to small apartments on busy and dirty streets.
My neighbors are working class argentines, but overall they do better than average. They usually hold a degree and are young but not very creative like in downtown Buenos Aires. It is more young families and soon-to-be families.
Palermo and Recoleta in downtown Buenos Aires. Plus a 'detachment' near Pilar in gated communities.
Do you interact with mainly other expatriates or do you have many Argentinean friends? Was it difficult to make friends outside the expatriate community?
My friends are only Argentine at the moment, but I hang out with expats at group meetings from time to time. However, I no longer meet expats outside these events, but it is just a matter of chance. I did in the past with a couple of girls but they left country.
Do you speak Spanish?
I didn't when I arrived, hence I relied a lot on the online English-speaking community. Now I do, but I am not fluent and it costs me some effort to hang around Argentines. I can't still fully express myself or make jokes - I feel limited.
I work from home as a freelance translator, that's why it is taking time to become fluent in Spanish. I live in Argentina but I am not very exposed to the language.
I liked the vibe of the people, they smile and are polite, they do not live in a rush, and they look happier. Argentine society is also less complex as far as trade and business go, so it offers good opportunities to entrepreneurs. Generally speaking, Argentine society is not as oppressive as it is elsewhere. Less rules, less hassles. But if there is a problem, you'll have to live with that. I realize this might not be a positive point for people coming from countries where rules are enforced, but it is for me.
Please help and thanks!
You are welcome!

Hello, I am an undergraduate student researching expatriates in South American cities, including Buenos Aires. I would absolutely love if anyone out there could answer a few questions/be willing to talk to me about your expat experience, it would go a long way to help my thesis- and be completely anonymous!

Even just a few basic answers to any of these questions would be extremely appreciated.

Do you speak Spanish?

Please help and thanks!

Past - Palermo
Women
Argentinians
Any place but home - Being an American home now sucks!
Expats are boring in my experience.
Spanish is a must besides I like it.
I work developing software.
BA was nice for season then the K clan ruined it.

Now I live is Uruguay it is much better and has lots of well off educated Argentinians that act much better than the typical BA riff raff.

Back