Here's Something: Table Service Charge

rpkerston

Registered
Having been in the general BA area, now, my 3rd time over a period of about a decade, and staying here for 7+ weeks to this point, I cannot say that I'm either that new or that I'm truly experienced here, yet... However, I ran across this for the very first time, this past week, and I wonder what others may have to say about what may have happened... and more importantly: How to deal with it in future.

I am staying in a very popular northern zone suburb. I eat out 4-7 times per week, and I have developed a habit of regularly visiting several places that I like within not only my own northern community, but also in Microcentro and in Recoleta. I have observed quite a number of signs (though ONLY in the capital city, so far in my own travels, which have seen me in Belgrano, Palermo, Recoleta, Microcenter, San Telmo, Monserrat, Cabellito, Once, etc... but never in my own community up north) signalling the absence of table service in some restaurants, and posted in their windows and on their menus... but I have never frequented any of those establishments. Perhaps more importantly, I have never incurred such a charge, anywhere here, either... until this past week...

One very notably well-known restaurant in the heart of my community is a place I frequent at least once or twice every week. I've been in there at least 10 times, now - usually in the afternoon. I've been in there with another local resident whose wife is from this region, but mostly I've been there on my own. There are 3 different waiters during the day time: One I've had twice; one I've had several times. Only the very day before, I'd been in and was served there by somebody I'd been served by the very first time I ever went there.

Never a table service charge.

On this past Tuesday, I was faced with a bill that was higher than I'd expected and I noticed the table service charge on the bill - this from a waiter I'd seen but who'd never before waited upon me.

I did register with him that it wasn't my first time there, but that this was the first I'd ever seen such a charge in that restaurant.

What that short conversation produced was really nothing more than his listening to me...

My Spanish is good enough to be understood in everyday transactions, for the most part, but is still not yet good enough to try and win an argument, frankly!

One person I mentioned this to - afterward - suggested that MAYBE they'd just implemented this charge on that very day? [possibly because the summer season is beginning?]

I'm wondering if others have dealt with this situation and what has happened. What suggestions do folks have?

If more details are needed, I can provide those - privately if discretion seems a nice thing to do...

Thanks, as always,

Paul

PS: One reason this concerns me is that I like that restaurant.. or, at least, I did... I'd like to go back.

Speak to the Manager.....The Servicio de mesa is approved by law

En realidad, la ley 4.407 sancionada en la Ciudad el 29 de noviembre de 2012 es clara porque en su Artículo 1°reglamenta qué deben ofrecer los restaurantes que adicionan a la facturación un monto extra bajo la descripción "servicio de mesa, cubierto o cualquier otra denominación equivalente".

http://www.infobae.c...os-restaurantes

Often if itisacafe and yougointhe morning there is no servicio de mesa charge, but the moment it switches to lunch menu there is. Could this be the case here?

Ugh responding on phone is impossible,the keyboard coversthe response area, sorry...

I myself have 2 pet peeves cover charges and charing for water(which is almost de rigeur here in Europe, especially in the Czceh Republic)
The cover charge should be clearly stated on the menu along with its amount, but I find it ridiculous as I would find it silly to pay a specail fee on a bus for the use of the tires. If they want to charge for bread, fine, but then it should optional.
Just my humble thoughts!

I myself have 2 pet peeves cover charges and charing for water(which is almost de rigeur here in Europe, especially in the Czceh Republic)
The cover charge should be clearly stated on the menu along with its amount, but I find it ridiculous as I would find it silly to pay a specail fee on a bus for the use of the tires. If they want to charge for bread, fine, but then it should optional.
Just my humble thoughts!

There has been many discussions here ... about the subject, for instance 4 people sit at a table 2 of them eat a meal while 2 have a coffee or a dessert ... the bill will show 4 cover charges... etc. fair...?

No cover charge for under 12 yo... Cover charge BTW is no Argentina invention, as well as minimum consumption, exists in other places...!

items to be provided... If not available can not charge Servicio de Mesa...??

250 cc of tap water per person
A bread Basket with products for Celiacs and gluten free
Sodium Free Salt, as an option to regular Salt
Regular or Dietetic Bread at customers choice

There seem to be so many more restaurants charging the cubierto now, often only for a bare table and basket of sometimes stale bread, that I think they are just desperately trying to keep up with the higher prices they are paying for supplies and wages, without driving customers away by constantly raising menu prices.

But, that said, R estaurants really should be required to print the cubierto on their menus, especially as more and more are charging up to 20-25 pesos per person (la Cabrera, 29, but they give good value for that, in side dishes, whereas most restaurants charge it for bread alone). This shouldn't be a rude shock when the bill arrives -

It's charged in many establishments, and it is not a tip. It's the charge for the bread, table cloth, blah blah.

It's like 15-20 pesos generally.

Is it really worth the fuss?
Las Lilas in Puerto Madero chagres $50 per person, and you need reservation to get in.
Generally is about 10%, not 10-20 pesos.

Back