Hey Nerds, I've Got A Router Question.

TomAtAlki

Registered
I've got a Motorola SBG901 modem/router supplied to me by Fibertel. There is 1 eithernet plug in the back. Can I plug my Apple Extreme into that and use the Motorola Modem and my own Apple wireless router, bypassing the built-in wireless router in the Motorola?

Thanks for any help. T/

If your Motorola is not a Wifi modem/router, only intended for a single connection, then it shouldn't even have an active DHCP server.
Just add the Apple device and see if it flies. KISS Principle.

Tortuga's link makes sense to me. Is this your Modem?
http://www.motorola....6,en_US,pd.html

If so, there is a link to a pdf there for specs and such, it is a wireless router/modem/DHPC server, etc.. I've found it's more trouble than it's worth to try to get two routers in series working. If you have access to the settings of the Motorola, you could try Tortuga's directions to pass through and use your apple router as a router/dhcp server/firewall.

Another option would be just let the Motorola do the work and if needed, use your apple device as a switch by cabling from the Motorola to a LAN port on your Apple rather than into the WAN port. (and turn off DHCP on the apple as mentioned)

The the hardware firewall would be whichever device you choose to work as a router.

Yes, you can. The motorola is indeed a modem router and it only has one ethernet port on the back.

Short explanation
---------------------------------------------------------
Give the apple airport an IP from the same network as the motorola router, disable its dhcp, connect both devices (a cable from lan port from apple extreme to motorola). That's it. Connect to the fibertel's wifi, or the apple wifi. It should give you the same details. After that, disable the wifi on fibertel if you wish.

Long explanation
Let's explain some concepts first:

Fixed IP: This is when you set up the network configuration parameteres in the network card (Ip address, netmask, gateway, dns).
DHCP: This is when you connect to a router/wifi and it configures the network on its own with his parameters.
Gateway: This is the device to which traffic will be redirected. All devices (router, laptops, etc) have a gateway. That's how networks works, they all receive traffic and pass it over to someone else. For example, if you set your laptop to use the motorola as gateway, your laptop will redirect all his traffic to this device. If you put the IP of the apple device, all traffic will be redirected to this. Just understand the concept

Now, the motorola as far as I understand, is currently giving the connection to your home, probably with DHCP. This should be left like this because fibertel is the one holding the connection and at some point, it will be the gateway. It can be either on your laptop or on the airport itself. There isn't a need for the apple device to be giving dhcp as the gateway will eventualy be fibertel.

Okay, now a quick guide to make you understand this as best I can. The post will be long, but isn't hard to follow (I hope). I just like to explain each point so you will not have doubts.

1. You need to understand what you have. Connect your laptop to fibertel and complete:
IP Address: (probably 192.168.0.x)
Netmask: (probably 255.255.255.0)
Gateway: the ip of the motorola router.

2. Turn on the apple device and connect to it (wireless or with a cable). No need to conect it to the fibertel router yet. Log on into the equipment and check the network configuration. You need to give it an ip of the same range than fibertel. For example, if fibertel gave you an IP of 192.168.0.15, you will need to configure airport with an IP of 192.168.0.250, Disable DHCP on this equipment (apple).

3. Now connect the airport and the motorola router with a cable between them. Use the lan ports, not wan. Connect your laptop to the airport's wifi and it should work.

The idea behind this is:
Laptop connects to Airport Wifi, this equipment passes the DHCP configuration of the motorola that haves the correct gateway information so you can connect to the internet.

Hope this helps :)

To those genius' that answered my initial question I apologize. I didn't ask the whole question.

I am trying to hook up a security camera (which I've done) and want to be able to control it via the internet (which is what this question is about).

When I try to access the Motorola I put in the IP address (http://192.168.0.1) my browser just stalls. It acts like it's trying to access the modem/router but doesn't make it. So I thought that I could bypass the router part of the Motorola and use my apple extreme. Hence my question.

My real question is, given the above, how can I control my camera from the internet either using or not using my apple extreme or something else.

Thanks again, T/

1. To watch your camera online you'll need a public IP, not a private one (192.168.x.x). To achieve that you must register an account with Dyndns or similar.

http://dyn.com/ They provide free accounts, yearly renouvable.
This way you'll have a permanent public (internet) access -URL- to point to.

Then you must be able to link your camera or router to point to the DynDNS generated account and configure the router to redirect all incoming requests to the
camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvniQdlyU9A

2. To acccess 192.168.X.1 you must be WIRED to it and have an IP in the same range.Make sure you can ping the address first. Also, clear your temp files.

Thank you Iznogud,

Pretty much everything I see tells me to log into my router and I can't. I am wired to it but don't know what you mean by "and have an IP in the same range.Make sure you can ping the address first. Also, clear your temp files.".

I do have an account at Dyn and believe it is set up but I could be wrong about that too.

I don't consider myself a total novice with computers but feel like one in this case.

Back