Hi all! New in the forum, young family here

AlfajorEfi

Registered
Been here for 2 years. Living in Pilar, love this area, cannot imagine living in a small apartment in Capital...
Have (an almost) 7 year old daughter and son of (almost almost!) 1 year old.
Looking to make new friends, sane ones, who speak English.
Tired of snobby mothers at school...

Hi there! I'm a newb to the forum, only signed up yesterday. We are about to shift from La Plata to go live in Pilar at the end of the year. We're also a young family (with 3 kids), my youngest is 12 months old. We are from Australia (I was born here) and moved here to see what it was like and for the kids to get to know the Argentinian side of my family.
It would be great fun having other english-speaking friends here :)

G'day mates! That indeed would be fan(bloody)tastic!
My youngest turns 1 in 10 days, yay! So it would be great for him to have some friends his age.
Pilar is a lot nicer than La Plata, you would love it here. Have you been to Pilar before? If you have any questions regarding schools, gated communities, etc. feel free to ask! Been here for 2 years, first rented in one barrio and then bought in another. So both of you are from Australia? I have never been but have lots of friends from there and I am ashamed to admit that I am hooked on Home & Away...
Well, maybe one Saturday we will come over to La Plata to the ciudad de ninos, we will let you know. Have you been?

Hello AlfajorEfi,

We (my wife and 2 young children, 3 and 5 years, and I) are moving to Argentina very soon (Oct 20) from the US and are investigating different areas to live. We are very interested in the Argentine culture but as parents, are very concerned with crime...especially kidnappings. So we are thinking that BA itself may not be a good choice but rather a suburb like Pilar.

Can you tell me more about your experience over the past 2 years concerning raising a family and the overall safety in Pilar? Is this why you chose Pilar? How is the real estate (you refer to size of the place you rented/own, what can you get for your money there)?

Thank you so much for any guidance. We are really committed to this, but at the same time, we want to make sure our children are safe.

Well, I was not able to send you a message, so I will just answer here.
Before moving here, my husband flew here for a week to get a feel of the city and to find a house. It was 2 months before we moved here. I looked at the map in order to get to know the city and both Pilar and Tigre/Nordelta appealed to me.
We looked at some pictures and asked some family and eventually we picked Pilar.
My husband visited and contacted many private schools, in the city, San Isidro and Pilar.
I am really happymto live out here rather than in the city. The city is great if you are single or have no kids, the suburbs is better for family life.
Of course safety is a big deal here. Pilar is made of about 100 different gated communities that are either a barrio cerrado or a country club.
The difference between them is that in a regular barrio cerrado, you find ammenities such as club house, tennis courts, swimming pool, gym, playground or none, and they are usually smaller. A country club will have either or more:
Golf, polo club, riding club, church, grocery stores, etc.
Many have all of those so you can imagine they are not small at all.
They are all gated and have security 24/7 and you pay expenses that include that which range from $700 pesos to $1500 pesos a month and you can enjoy all the ammenities depending on the commmunity of your choice.
To RENT you can find a nice house with 4 bedrooms for about $4000 pesos and can go up to almost that in dollars, but then it's a bigger house, in a bigger country club, with a private pool, etc.
To buy again depends on the community, but a good size home also typically 4 bedroom or more you can find from 180,000$ USD and up with the average price around $240,000 for a nice house probably with a pool in a well off community.
Typically everyone here has a live in housekeeper from monday to friday, who gets the kids ready in the morning, prepares meals and cleans the house. Usually the girl is from Paraguay, and you can expect to pay about $2000 pesos a month in salary, cash.
All private schools here are bilingual. They have kinder 2, but just about 2-3 hours a day, until kinder 5, which is before first grade, then it's a whole day 8:20am to 4pm.
The prices per month for school range from $800 pesos to $1800 for kinder, and probably $1200-$2200 for elementary school.
It's safe here, everywhere there is security, parking lots, supermarkets, etc. Of course there are robberies and break ins but thats the same all over the world..
Let me know if you have more questions, good luck with the move and would be great to see you out here!

Thank you for your quick reply!!! This was very helpful information. Thanks for the offer to ask more questions. As we look around more, and narrow places down, we may have more.

chadwixk said:
Hello AlfajorEfi,

We (my wife and 2 young children, 3 and 5 years, and I) are moving to Argentina very soon (Oct 20) from the US and are investigating different areas to live. We are very interested in the Argentine culture but as parents, are very concerned with crime...especially kidnappings. So we are thinking that BA itself may not be a good choice but rather a suburb like Pilar.

Hi! Sorry to interrupt, but I wanted to let you know that kidnapping is not an issue in Argentina. There was a brief period of time in the early 2000's when the media was all hyped up about some kidnappings than happened, but it's not at all a common crime.

Hello. I´m new to the forum as well and saw this thread with references to young family. My wife is from New Zealand and I´m from El Salvador with 2 girls aged 5 and 18 months. We are currently living in Brisbane, Australia but are thinking about BA as our next place to live. We would like the girls to learn spanish and the culture. I speak spanish but my wife doesn´t and she is worried she will be isolated. I have told her that BA is a big city and there are lots of expats (just look at this website!) Can anyone tell me how much a reasonably priced primary school would cost per year and also an apartment?
Vlad

Back