Hi from a newcomer! & Need help clarifying some questions please ;-)

dieuvu218

Registered
Hola! Soy Vu ;-)
I am 24. I currently live and work in Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam and I’m going to Buenos Aires to do my Internship for around 1 year, possibly starting from 1 April.
I found this forum a great place to make friends. So I post this thread to say Hi to everybody!!! :)
Also, I have some questions that I hope you could spend some time help me clarify.
-The company offers me a monthly salary of around AR$ 3880 (US$ 970). Is it enough to live a “moderate life” there? I know this is a very general question, but I did do a quick research on living standard in BA and on its average income but I couldn’t find a satisfying answer. These following information may give you a better idea about my situation:
+ The company where I will work is located at Santa Fe Avenue, so probably I’m looking for accommodation in the barrios of Retiro, Recoleta or Palermo for close distance to my workplace. How much is it for a single room in a sharing apartment in these neighborhoods? One landlord offered me US$450/month for such a room with Internet access :rolleyes:
+ I prefer a homestay. I posted my ad on some website, as well as reached out to some host families who advertised their properties on those webs. 1 problem is that most of them only look for short term homestay (several days or weeks). Another problem is that what they offered me is more like leasing a room in their sharing apartment rather than the “real homestay” (you know, being the only lessee in their house, spending time with the family, learning Spanish, perhaps having host brother/sister, etc.) Where is a reliable source that I could find a good host family? :confused:
Thank you so much. Any help is most appreciated.
Great to be here. Gracias,
Vu

dieuvu218 said:
Hola! Soy Vu ;-)
Is it enough to live a “moderate life” there? I know this is a very general question, but I did do a quick research on living standard in BA and on its average income but I couldn’t find a satisfying answer. These following information may give you a better idea about my situation:

Hola

I have been here a couple of years and think that life will not be middle class on that salary. Most of the people that I work with that are making that salary are living at home with their parents.

Some of the things that you might want to also consider is whether this company is providing you with health insurance and paid vacation. If you have to pay for these things it will make things even more tight. Also keep in mind that inflation is a problem here.

Hope this helps.

Desde

dieuvu218 said:

+ I prefer a homestay. I posted my ad on some website, as well as reached out to some host families who advertised their properties on those webs. 1 problem is that most of them only look for short term homestay (several days or weeks). Another problem is that what they offered me is more like leasing a room in their sharing apartment rather than the “real homestay” (you know, being the only lessee in their house, spending time with the family, learning Spanish, perhaps having host brother/sister, etc.) Where is a reliable source that I could find a good host family? :confused:

Check out www.SpareRoomsBA.com ... they helped me find a house, though I do lease one of many rooms. They have many other options available, such as what you are looking for. Ask for Valeria and tell her what need and your price range and she may be able to help you!!

Santa Fe is a very long street that passes through very different neighborhoods. What block of Santa Fe (eg, 1500's, 2500's, 3500's, etc.) is your company on?

I don't think it is a good idea to try to find a "permanent" place before you arrive. It would be much better to come here and stay in a place temporarily, then get your bearings and decide where you want to live. You can sign up for one of the forums on Couchsurfing (www.couchsurfing.org) to look for a place to live.

I personally don't think it's very likely that you will find a nurturing family in search of a foreign boarder within an area close to your work. In my opinion you would be better off looking to share an apartment with others your age.

dieuvu218 said:
Hola! Soy Vu ;-)
I am 24. I currently live and work in Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam and I’m going to Buenos Aires to do my Internship for around 1 year, possibly starting from 1 April.
I found this forum a great place to make friends. So I post this thread to say Hi to everybody!!! :)
Also, I have some questions that I hope you could spend some time help me clarify.
-The company offers me a monthly salary of around AR$ 3880 (US$ 970). Is it enough to live a “moderate life” there? I know this is a very general question, but I did do a quick research on living standard in BA and on its average income but I couldn’t find a satisfying answer. These following information may give you a better idea about my situation:
+ The company where I will work is located at Santa Fe Avenue, so probably I’m looking for accommodation in the barrios of Retiro, Recoleta or Palermo for close distance to my workplace. How much is it for a single room in a sharing apartment in these neighborhoods? One landlord offered me US$450/month for such a room with Internet access :rolleyes:
Thank you so much. Any help is most appreciated.
Great to be here. Gracias,
Vu
Hola Vu!,

Check out www.argentinaexchange.com and get a better understanding of why Im suggesting it to you.
If you find it useful in all fronts but particulary in the home issue you are needing to resolve, get in contact with Enzo Lubrano info@argentinaexchange
and Cc. Giovanni Vigliardi [email protected] on my behalf.
All I would ask in return is to quote my name and company.
My name is Mariela Woodbridge, my company Blitz-ar Group and you can write to me if you like on [email protected] and ask me for any further help once you are here in BA. Safe & Happy travels!! M xox

This will be short and sweet but if your extra income per month is $450U$D.....you won't come close to living a middle class life. Your income isn't out of line for a younger white collar entry level position but most Argentines live at home when they are making that sort of money. Throw in the foreigner effect of being charged more for stuff and you are really going to be tight on money! I would recommend having $3,000 a month SPENDING CASH after rent, health insurance, etc in this current time to have a modest life!

Hi Vu! You will be fine on that salary, judging by the fact that you are young, and judging by your choice to do an internship abroad, adventurous. For your information, my wife & I lived for 6 months on just her salary of 3000 pesos a month last year, so it is def. possible!

I would second melaboots recommendation of SpareRooms Buenos Aires. Valeria is a great entrepreneur (a good friend as well) and works hard to make sure her clients are comfortable and answers any question they may have about BA. It looks like prices run from 300 USD and up.

Hola todos!
Thank you so much. I’m overwhemed with the help you guys offer here.
@ Desde2008: US$ 970 is my net income, after all the insurance, paid vacation etc. so I guess it is just enough to have a very modest life there. Perhaps I need to find extra job to do at weekends ?! Is it legally allowed in BA?
But they’re going to pay me in pesos. It would be much better if I could earn USD. BTW, how bad is inflation in BA? Actually, inflation in Vietnam is quite high (over 10% last year) and I had to get used to it.

@ random: the address of the company where I’ll work is
Uriarte 2489 Avenida Santa Fe. I’m not sure if “Uriate” means block or street. I know that Santa Fe Avenue passes through the barrios of Retiro, Recoleta or Palermo. Do you know which barrio is “Uriarte 2489” on?
Yes I do think that finding a temporary place to live first is a good idea.

@ GuilleGee: Thanks, Gee! Your information really made me feel less worried, believing that I could definitely live on that salary. But in which barrio do you live, may I ask? The rental of the barrios near Santa Fe Avenue is US$450 all the way up.

@ All: Still in my process to find a place to live, and have some positive news so far. Thanks for all the useful links and agents you recommended.
Gracias,
Vu

Back