Hi, I'm Patricia from Uruguay

Patriciafromuruguay

Registered
My name is Patricia and I woud like to introduce myself and join the forum. I am also an expat. I am originally from Uruguay but I have lived in Buenos Aires for fifteen years. I'm the one Steve has referred to some of you for the tramites for the visa rentistia (financero) and pensionado. I have dealt with migraciones as a foreigner, too, but it has been a little easier for me coming from a Mercosur country and I also have two daughters that were born in Argentina. They go to public school so if anyone has questions about the public schools I will be happy to try answer them. I can also answer some questions about Uruguay, especially Montevideo.

My work now is as productor de seguros generales (insurance), and with the lawyers we make reclamos x accidentes de transito y de trabajo (legal actions for car and work accidents). We represent foreigners as well as Argentines. There is no problem for people who don't speak Spanish. The insurance companies try to pay as little as possible and often offer very small payments. Steve was in a car accident in 2006. He wasn't hurt badly but needed some xrays and had pain for several months. The insurance company offered him only $100 pesos at first. Eventually they paid $10,000. I am also a distributor for Herbalife products.

Hi Patricia,

I am a US military retiree interested in the pensionado visa. I am age 52 and I have seen different information regarding the age requirement for this visa category. Is there a minimum age to get the pensionado visa?

Thanks for any help

Rob

Hi Rob,

I am the Steve Patricia mentioned in the post you quoted. Patricia helped me get temporarry residency in 2006 (I was 56 at the time).

As far as I know, age is not a factor. As long as the pension is from a source (government or private) that "guarantees" that the income will contiue for the rest of your life and meets the "curent" income requirement at each renewal, you should qualify.

You will be able to apply for permanent residency on the thrid renewal and should never have to deal with migraciones again.

Hey Steve, thanks for replying. Would you recommend any particular things be done before going to Argentina? Are some items better taken care of in America than trying to do there? It would be my wife and two kids as well but we can’t find much information for bringing younger children they’re 6 and 7 years old. I’m assuming they don’t need a FBI clearance but not sure?

Hey Steve, thanks for replying. Would you recommend any particular things be done before going to Argentina? Are some items better taken care of in America than trying to do there?

Hey Rob, you are most welcome.

Any docs that are from the USA (includimg proof of your pension) must be Apostilled there...and then translated and legalized in Argentina.

It would be my wife and two kids as well but we can’t find much information for bringing younger children they’re 6 and 7 years old. I’m assuming they don’t need a FBI clearance but not sure?

You might need state issued certified coppies of the birth certificates for the kids, but I'm not sure. If they are required, they will need the Apostille.

As far as I know, because your kids are under 16 years of age they won't need FBI reports.

How soon are you planning to move to Argentina and do you already know where you want to live?

Steve,

Well we were initially planning to visit for an exploratory trip sometime in the spring but as far as an actual move we weren’t sure if we could do all that without having to come back to the USA first.
It looks like once we know for certain what all our required documents are, we can get ahead start with getting them Apostilled.

The children and my wife, while all US citizens were born overseas, so I am wondering if we need to send their foreign birth certificates in for Apostille or just their US certificates of birth abroad or both?

Or would all the non-US birth certificates need to be apostilled by that government?

Same question would apply for our marriage certificate.

Also when I contacted the Argentine consulate they said I also need state background checks, using Georgia as an example they have a link to the GBI on the document they sent me.

As far as I can determine our state doesn’t let you pull a background check like that.

Assuming we can get all our ducks in a row before the spring then we might be able to move then, but we would still plan on seeing a few different cities/regions before making a decision on where exactly we would want to live.

Looking through various expat sites and YouTube videos I don’t think we would choose Buenos Aires for a permanent home as we’re not really city oriented.

Perhaps for a rental at first?

If it were solely up to me we would be in a rural/semi rural area about 30-60 minutes from a small to medium sized city. Without having actually seen the country we can’t say with any certainty but I do like what is described here

https://solsalute.com/blog/best-places-to-live-in-argentina/

regarding Bariloche and Mendoza and the other locations listed.

Do you have any recommendations?

Attached is what the Atlanta Argentine consulate sent me but I’ve been informed we are supposed to use the Houston one if applying from the US.

Since we don’t have an Argentina residence yet I’m not sure how it is possible to meet all these requirements.

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips

-Rob

IMG_1922.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1922.jpeg
    IMG_1922.jpeg
    627.6 KB · Views: 1
The children and my wife, while all US citizens were born overseas, so I am wondering if we need to send their foreign birth certificates in for Apostille or just their US certificates of birth abroad or both?
The birth certificates can only be Apostillzed in the country where your wife and the children were born.
Or would all the non-US birth certificates need to be apostilled by that government?

As indicated in my previous answer, yes.
Same question would apply for our marriage certificate.
I got my marriage certificate "authenticated" by the county clerk in the county where I was married. It was notarized and received the Apostills from the Secretary of State. I was already divorced (in a different state), but I wanted to have both in case I ever wanted to get married in Argentina.

Also when I contacted the Argentine consulate they said I also need state background checks, using Georgia as an example they have a link to the GBI on the document they sent me.

As far as I can determine our state doesn’t let you pull a background check like that.
I applied for and was granted residency in Argentina in 2006 and this requirement, in addition to the FBI report, did not exist at that time.

Assuming we can get all our ducks in a row before the spring then we might be able to move then, but we would still plan on seeing a few different cities/regions before making a decision on where exactly we would want to live.

Looking through various expat sites and YouTube videos I don’t think we would choose Buenos Aires for a permanent home as we’re not really city oriented.

Perhaps for a rental at first?

I agree that you should rent while you are searching for a more permanent place to live.
If it were solely up to me we would be in a rural/semi rural area about 30-60 minutes from a small to medium sized city. Without having actually seen the country we can’t say with any certainty but I do like what is described here, https://solsalute.com/blog/best-places-to-live-in-argentina/

I'll comment on your desire to live an a semi rural area (which I have been doing for tthe past 13.5 years) in another post, perhaps in a new thread where it will get more readers.

PS: Do you and your wife speak Spanish, and if so, at what level?

Last edited:
The birth certificates can only be Apostillzed in the country where your wife and the children were born.

As indicated in my previous answer, yes.

I got my marriage certificate "authenticated" by the county clerk in the county where I was married. It was notarized and received the Apostills from the Secretary of State. I was already divorced (in a different state), but I wanted to have both in case I ever wanted to get married in Argentina.

I applied for and was granted residency in Argentina in 2006 and this requirement, in addition to the FBI report, did not exist at that time.

I agree that you should rent while you are searching for a more permanent place to live.

I'll comment on your desire to live an a semi rural area (which I have been doing for tthe past 13.5 years) in another post, perhaps in a new thread where it will get more readers.

PS: Do you and your wife speak Spanish, and if so, at what level?
Well we’re both semi-fluent meaning we understand far more words and phrases than the average American but I wouldn’t say we feel comfortable communicating in Spanish

She speaks English and Tagalog fluently already and I can get by in Tagalog but barely. We are both working on Spanish via apps right now and are looking forward to an immersive experience to become fluent.

Just bear in mind that it seems the pension income requirements (currently around UD$1000 per month per person but likely to increase over time given the formula used to calculate it) is múltipled by the number of family members: both parents and all children in your case.

Back