Hi there - About to be a new arrival

Liam3494

Registered
hi all, I may be outside of the usual age profile for people arriving in BA, given my passport says I'm 51 (obviously a mistake somewhere, I think I am more like 31!)...., but I will be joining the ex-pat community in Buenos Aires in the near future, and thought I would drop by and say hi.

I presently live in Ireland, being born Irish, but having lived in England from 4 to 40, so the accent is english, but the blood runs green. My gf is Argentine, and with the opportunity to take a three year career break, what better way to spend it than in South America, where I can learn Spanish properly :) and be with my gf.

I have been to BA, but in tourist mode really, so living there will be very different I am sure. I will actually be arriving in BA next Friday for a ten day trip, then back to Ireland until November when I will be moving down long-term. Not sure what kind of visa I need, as the local embassy here couldn't work it out either, they just advised me to go to Uruguay every 89 days! I won't be seeking work, nor will I be a student - I will be getting an income from Ireland while I am in BA, so I don't really fit into categories, we'll see...

I run to keep young, and fit, and look forward to joining in the local running scene, and whilst I will be living on the "wrong" side of the city, in Avellaneda, for now, if I stay long enough the idea is to buy a place in the Palermo/Recoleta end of town - or thereabouts. Big sports fan, football (the proper kind - sorry Americans) and rugby being the top, although these days I stick to running and a few racquet games if given a chance.

Hope to get involved in the community, and become an ex ex-pat in time.

Regards to all - Liam

Welcome, good luck! check out the threads about tourist visa, you can renew by going to Colonia Uruguay or going to immigrations but alternate the two is the best option.

Hi Liam,

Sounds like you're going to really enjoy BA if you like running, tennis, futbol, and rugby! I can't tell you much about participating in futbol or rugby but...

There's a sizable running community in BA and you'll find lots of organized races every month (10k, half marathons, marathons). For instance, here's an online calendar with upcoming events: http://www.clubdecorredores.com/carreras.php

Popular places to find runners include the Bosques de Palermo, Puerto Madero and the Reserva Ecologica among others.

Besides tennis, which is very popular here (there are countless clay courts for rent around the city), another popular racquet sport is called "padel." Here's some more info from Wikipedia or maybe your Argentinean girlfriend can tell you more about it as it's hard to explain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padel_tennis

You can rent padel courts just like you would with tennis and there are amateur clubs you can join and play in tournaments for fun.

Hope this helps!

Liam3494 said:
hi all, I may be outside of the usual age profile for people arriving in BA, given my passport says I'm 51 (obviously a mistake somewhere, I think I am more like 31!)...., but I will be joining the ex-pat community in Buenos Aires in the near future, and thought I would drop by and say hi.

I presently live in Ireland, being born Irish, but having lived in England from 4 to 40, so the accent is english, but the blood runs green. My gf is Argentine, and with the opportunity to take a three year career break, what better way to spend it than in South America, where I can learn Spanish properly :) and be with my gf.

I have been to BA, but in tourist mode really, so living there will be very different I am sure. I will actually be arriving in BA next Friday for a ten day trip, then back to Ireland until November when I will be moving down long-term. Not sure what kind of visa I need, as the local embassy here couldn't work it out either, they just advised me to go to Uruguay every 89 days! I won't be seeking work, nor will I be a student - I will be getting an income from Ireland while I am in BA, so I don't really fit into categories, we'll see...

I run to keep young, and fit, and look forward to joining in the local running scene, and whilst I will be living on the "wrong" side of the city, in Avellaneda, for now, if I stay long enough the idea is to buy a place in the Palermo/Recoleta end of town - or thereabouts. Big sports fan, football (the proper kind - sorry Americans) and rugby being the top, although these days I stick to running and a few racquet games if given a chance.

Hope to get involved in the community, and become an ex ex-pat in time.

Regards to all - Liam

Hi Liam,

I adore the fact that you say that the "blood runs green." You will see a big difference here between the anglo-argentines and the argentines of Irish ancestry. This post is just to let you know that there is a vibrant and very much alive Irish community in Argentina. They even speak with a perfect Irish accent!

Recoleta Carolina said:
Hi Liam,

I adore the fact that you say that the "blood runs green." You will see a big difference here between the anglo-argentines and the argentines of Irish ancestry. This post is just to let you know that there is a vibrant and very much alive Irish community in Argentina. They even speak with a perfect Irish accent!

LOL - Wish I could do my own accent! JAJAJAJAJA - I was in BA for St Patrick's Day and caught the parade, small but enthusiastic, and look forward to next years :)... Will be arriving in town on Friday for ten days and looking forward to my return. :)

Back