Hispanic Or Latino?

Has anyone here ever fallen in love with a Hispanic? Just curious :)

I am the son of Irish immigrants to Argentina but I am Argentine despite having lived abroad and speaking accent-less English(that is not with a foreign language accent). Although I have no "latin" blood, when I applied for a scholorship in the USA over 30 years ago and checked, I think it was Hispanic not Latin box, I was told I was not Latin and not able to apply for it. So what am I? What are Argentine Jews of German or Polish descent? Are third generation Japanese Argentines just Asians? Thoughts!

I guess everything that needs to be said is shown in the thumbnail of the video. Good to know that when I checked off the "hispanic" box when it comes to race I wasn't really lying. ;) I've always questioned whether Spain really counts as hispanic since it doesn't really make sense that Spanish people would check a different box than Portuguese or Italians. People used to (and some still do) call every Spanish speaking person Spanish in the US. I've always found that mildly annoying.

Argentines are hispanic/latino even if their ancestry is 100% European, so those scholarship people were wrong... and discriminatory.
I guess if the US or other countries really cared about a person's ethnic makeup, they would ask more straightforwardly if you have any Native American (either Northern or Southern) ancestry.

This "what are you?" question is becoming increasingly outdated and hard to answer since there's more mixing and moving of populations.

I guess everything that needs to be said is shown in the thumbnail of the video. Good to know that when I checked off the "hispanic" box when it comes to race I wasn't really lying. ;) I've always questioned whether Spain really counts as hispanic since it doesn't really make sense that Spanish people would check a different box than Portuguese or Italians. People used to (and some still do) call every Spanish speaking person Spanish in the US. I've always found that mildly annoying.

Argentines are hispanic/latino even if their ancestry is 100% European, so those scholarship people were wrong... and discriminatory.
I guess if the US or other countries really cared about a person's ethnic makeup, they would ask more straightforwardly if you have any Native American (either Northern or Southern) ancestry.

This "what are you?" question is becoming increasingly outdated and hard to answer since there's more mixing and moving of populations.
This theme touches one of my hot buttons. In my opinion the correct answer to "are you hispanic/latino/a (or any of the variations) is best answered by one, or a combination of: "none of your business;" "why should anyone care?;" "I don't give a shit, why should you?"

Shared this before: The (Argentine) wife's grandparents are Italian, Swiss, German, and Spanish. She identifies more with the Italian side, so does not identify as Hispanic.

But...she is a proud Latina.

Italians are part time whites and the other times mafioso :p

Back