Historic events that have changed Argentina

perry

Registered
Argentina for a young country has has many major events , financial crashes. and the like . Peronism is tied to Argentina and this has caused huge divisions in the society . Unfortunately today people do not have options either its savage capitalism or the radical left .

One of the most important events in Argentinian history is the bombing of Plaza del Mayo in 1955 in a attempted coup against Juan Peron . This tragic event not well known by expats caused the deaths of over 300 innocent civilians.
Below is a excellent video about this tragic event with english subtitles

Last edited:
La Semana Tragica was another very important turning point in Argentine History- one whose repercussions are still felt today, in the form of Paros and Sindicatos.
In 1919, the entire city erupted in Riots- and, under cover of the riots, a pogrom against Jews took place in Once. Unproven, but pretty convincing, history puts a young Lieutenant Juan Peron in the thick of it, and the strong Anarchist, Feminist, and Communist Italian community in Buenos Aires was still protesting until the 1930s, and actually, until yesterday.
The history of both the USA and Argentina is intertwined with leftist immigrants from poor parts of Europe- And with Argentina being over 50% of Italian descent, mostly from poor parts of Italy, this is an essential event to the history and current political situation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragic_Week_(Argentina)
there are lots of better sites, in Spanish, and quite a few videos, as well.
https://www.infobae.com/historia/2017/07/22/la-feroz-masacre-contra-los-judios-en-la-semana-tragica/

The massive italian immigration began with Peron, before that there were a lot of frenchs, jews/russians, polish, ukranians, greeks, sirians and english.

The massive italian immigration began with Peron, before that there were a lot of frenchs, jews/russians, polish, ukranians, greeks, sirians and english.
This is not historically true.
When you say "began with Peron" most people would say you mean when Peron took power, in 1946.
As shown by the Semana Tragica, Italian immigration was already very strong, and influential, beginning in the 1880s. The Italians began coming in response to the changing political scene caused by the 1870 unification of Italy into a country. By 1914, there had been 2.75 million Italians to immigrate to Argentina. This was at a time when the entire population of the country was only a bit over 6 million. By the time Peron became president, Argentina was close to 50% Italian in heritage. In the Peron period, only about 380,000 Italians immigrated to Argentina- around 10% of how many had come before 1920.
Interesting paper on the subject, here-
https://gjis.journals.yorku.ca/index.php/gjis/article/download/39184/36401

Obviously, the most important recent thing that changed argentina was the military dictatorship.
Instead of the roughly 1000 indigenous people killed during the conquest of the desert, or the 300 people killed during the bombing of Plaza Del Mayo, somewhere between 20,000 and 30,000 people were disappeared. The economy was stripped to prop up a disproportionately large military and police, and to buy off the allies of the generals. An expensive and failed war was undertaken to shift attention from the moral, legal, and economic failures of the coup. This drained the country is so many ways, and its only now, with half the population having been born after the generals were deposed, that the country is recovering, spiritually, emotionally, and mentally. The damage done to the economy was huge and longlasting. All kinds of stupid decisions were made that still have ramifications today. Insider real estate deals, selling off of state utilities, transportation networks, and more.
An entire generation saw friends flee to europe or north america, or disappear. Many never came back, living abroad even now. It was in the military interest to keep Argentina as isolated as possible, particularly in terms of culture and education and intellectual terms, but also in economic terms. It was the Internet which has done the most to counteract that damage, and changed Argentina irrevocably and in many ways.

This is not historically true.
When you say "began with Peron" most people would say you mean when Peron took power, in 1946.
As shown by the Semana Tragica, Italian immigration was already very strong, and influential, beginning in the 1880s. The Italians began coming in response to the changing political scene caused by the 1870 unification of Italy into a country. By 1914, there had been 2.75 million Italians to immigrate to Argentina. This was at a time when the entire population of the country was only a bit over 6 million. By the time Peron became president, Argentina was close to 50% Italian in heritage. In the Peron period, only about 380,000 Italians immigrated to Argentina- around 10% of how many had come before 1920.
Interesting paper on the subject, here-
https://gjis.journals.yorku.ca/index.php/gjis/article/download/39184/36401

I have the annual reports of the migration department. if I have time I upload them.

I wonder about her sources because he does not use the immigration annual report. Well, I found them, this is not enought to approve a simple homework at UBA University:

By the way, the National Constitution of 1893 does not exist and Saenz Peña was the father of the voting rights law for all men.
But the author makes a very poor analisys of art. 20 whose author is Alberdi not Saenz Peña.
The article abolishes the medieval slavery of the foreigner but, of course, she didn’t get it.
You cannot write about the topic without quoting Sapey and Dragoumis phd thesis.

I can say it is not a serious source.86203EC7-5D94-48B0-A096-EFB3C3C10917.jpeg

Last edited:
Argentina for a young country has has many major events , financial crashes. and the like . Peronism is tied to Argentina and this has caused huge divisions in the society . Unfortunately today people do not have options either its savage capitalism or the radical left .

One of the most important events in Argentinian history is the bombing of Plaza del Mayo in 1955 in a attempted coup against Juan Peron . This tragic event not well known by expats caused the deaths of over 300 innocent civilians.
Below is a excellent video about this tragic event with english subtitles

Outstanding video. Thanks for sharing it. I always thought the Argentine military were the worst of that society; really bad. Still are. One of my dreams is that one day Argentina will have no army, just like Costa Rica.

Outstanding video. Thanks for sharing it. I always thought the Argentine military were the worst of that society; really bad. Still are. One of my dreams is that one day Argentina will have no army, just like Costa Rica.

The military have no power today and I think it is very unfair to say that they are the worst of society. There are many good men and women who serve in the armed forces, many from humble backgrounds. There are also honorable officers. It is very unfair to the men and women of the armed forces and their families to call them the worst of society. Even during the dictatorship not everyone in the military committed or was responsible for crimes and during the foolish Malvinas War, it was the common soldier or sailor who suffered the most.

Argentine has had a troubled history but so have plenty/all other nations. As a society it needs to grow up get out of its troubled funk and move forward.

Back