Hola BsAs Expats

Jcyordenana

Registered
I've been lurking for a while but never posted, still finding my way out of being a tourist and more of a resident...

I moved here three months ago with my porteno husband and our four year old son. Husband spent nearly 25 years in the states and was ready volver a sus pagos, as they say here, but I think it's even stranger for him than it is for me; I am totally comfortable in my role as an outsider and he is somewhere in between, with roots dating back to his 20s but all his professional life in the US.

I'm an English teacher, not the foreign language kind, the composition-literature-creative writing kind, and am looking to do something different. I'm also a yoga teacher and teach yin yoga on Monday nights in Colegiales and Tuesday night in my house in Belgrano, and yin/vinyasa (slow flow) Thursday afternoons and Friday mornings in my house. PM me if you you're interested in joining a class. (I'm teaching in my low-intermediate Spanish but classes are small and it's not hard to switch to English should you need it!) For more info check out my site at yuliyinyoga.wordpress.com.

Adrian (husband) was a professional photographer for many years, and recently changed / augmented his career to include professional translating and interpreting, and has a lot of experience in medical and legal interpreting.

Work is the main concern here, as it is for many on this board. We are here for a year for sure and after that we don't know yet. Our ability to sustain ourselves here will have a lot to do with that decision.

Other than that, we are pretty happy here. I can't imagine what it would be like without the friends and family we have, and especially for me the network of families in our son's school. We've been very, very lucky to have landed in a great community. I would really encourage anyone coming with young children to choose a Spanish only or mostly Spanish school. Other families I've met where the kids go to 'billingual' schools feel like the other kids are learning English but their kids aren't learning Spanish. Diego had a bit of struggle his first two months but he's doing great; his Spanish will outpace mine soon!

This is my current opinion of Buenos Aires, or at least our little corner of it: there is the constant feeling of needing to be on alert and careful at all times, thieves and pickpockets or worse, and on the other hand, the people that we meet and connect with will do _anything_ to be helpful and supportive, much more so than where we came from, San Francisco, where I lived for fifteen years. It's a funny contrast.

Saludos a todos!
Julie

Back