Hola Peeps!

Bono estente

Registered
Hi all,

I'm a thirty something Brit from London. I'll be arriving in BA in 3 weeks time.

I've looked at posts on this site for a while, so thanks for all the advice you give. It's already been really useful. Some of it can almost enduce panic re crime etc but I guess I will try to use my streetwise ways from London & multiply them!

I've already got a job with my company (bringing Latam finance into global compliance - yeah boring accountant stuff). I tried my hardest to get paid in GBP or USD but they weren't having any of it. Clearly I'm not important enough. I imagine the senior level get paid in USD!! I plan to work here for a year or so depending on how I get on. Interestingly enough my company will apply for my work visa after I have arrived on a tourist visa. It sounds really dodgy to me but I guess it's an example of how things are 'done' here!

I don't speak Spanish yet & I want to take private lessons. I've seen some threads on this, so I'll look at recommendations.

I'm keen to get know my soon-to-be fellow BA expats. I like a lot of things but love film, music (from Classic to hip hop), chatting over a drink. I try to run (5k max at the moment), reformer pilates if such a thing exists here! I also enjoy banter - not that you would guess it from this post. As a practising Catholic I'm sure I'll experience a lot soon. Ha!

Cheers

Kristina

Good luck, your going to need it trying to impose any sort of discipline or accounting control here :) I won't say anymore as it will ruin all your fun when you get here! The culture seems to be report no exceptions, fix it with sticky tape and carry on regardless.

It's not unheard of for companies to pay for classes, can you sell that to your employer? Most teachers can produce a bill (factura) which has the required tax details to pass back via expenses.

Bring a few thousand USD with you, more if you can and work out the money exchanging game when you get here. It's amazing what you get used to.

Good luck and seriously make a big push with the spanish, you'll get an awful lot more out of being here if you do.

Peeps.jpg

I was going to say the same on the Spanish classes, norm here is the company pays for the classes during work hours. That is for Argentines wanting to learn English, foreigners learning Spanish I'm not sure.

Welcome and godspeed.

Hi all,

I'm a thirty something Brit from London. I'll be arriving in BA in 3 weeks time.

I've looked at posts on this site for a while, so thanks for all the advice you give. It's already been really useful. Some of it can almost enduce panic re crime etc but I guess I will try to use my streetwise ways from London & multiply them!

I've already got a job with my company (bringing Latam finance into global compliance - yeah boring accountant stuff). I tried my hardest to get paid in GBP or USD but they weren't having any of it. Clearly I'm not important enough. I imagine the senior level get paid in USD!! I plan to work here for a year or so depending on how I get on. Interestingly enough my company will apply for my work visa after I have arrived on a tourist visa. It sounds really dodgy to me but I guess it's an example of how things are 'done' here!

I don't speak Spanish yet & I want to take private lessons. I've seen some threads on this, so I'll look at recommendations.

I'm keen to get know my soon-to-be fellow BA expats. I like a lot of things but love film, music (from Classic to hip hop), chatting over a drink. I try to run (5k max at the moment), reformer pilates if such a thing exists here! I also enjoy banter - not that you would guess it from this post. As a practising Catholic I'm sure I'll experience a lot soon. Ha!

Cheers

Kristina

Hi Kristina,

As a Londoner I can tell you not to panic about crime. I've been coming and going for 17 years, and while there is a good degree of petty crime and some fairly "professional" crime with guns etc. it is relatively rare that people get hurt. Generally I would say it is much safer than London, and you don't have that horrible random, I'm drunk and fancy a fight, culture that has become rather prevalent. Even if Argentines fancy a fight in a night club, they take the time to fold their sweaters neatly first! Really BA is a city with very low levels of aggression, though as a woman you may at first find the piropos (cat calling or passing comments from men) invasive. If you do, just remember the feelings of the rather unattractive Argentine mother of a friend of mine who had to spend a lot of time in London and finally complained that she wasn't happy because no one paid her attention in the street! Different world, different attitude!!

Actually, there is nothing dodgy about arriving on a tourist visa and your company applying for your visa. It is easier for them (given they are already licensed to employ foreigners) providing you have the requisite documents. i.e. legalised police records etc.

After London, you will find that the amount of culture and the transport to get to it, is of amazing quality and incredibly cheap if not free. Most is not publicised in English though. After a few months here you will wake up in the morning, look at your email or Facebook and spend breakfast deciding which of the ten options that arrived during the night you want to pursue that evening. I can guarantee you that even as an accountant you can never be bored, because you can never say "oh, I would love to go to that but I cant afford it". The City's government really provides, plus Argentines love doing new things so there is always a buzz.

I suspect every form of Pilates, yoga, or other forms of exercise exist here. It's not a city dominated by brand name gyms. On every block there is someone doing something different.

With respect to a peso salary, well its value will diminish over the year (though it is normal here to get a 20 - 25% pay rise to combat inflation). However, if they provide the apartment and you have 6 - 8000 pesos free cash, you will live exceedingly well.

PM me for any specific help you might need. And by the way, there is an incredible amount of negativity on this site. Not sure why, but I think North Americans have different expectations. There is very little that you can't get here, so don't come with a suitcase of rubbish that was apparently unfindable! If you have a decent job, there is no finer place to live. More accessible culture, better night life, more relaxed people, and a beautiful climate, so it beats London into a cocked hat! You will love it. When you get here come round for a drink at my little hotel/B&B and I'll give you a few pointers.

Hi Kristina,

I'm kind of in the same boat. Been living here for a month, working for a canadian company. Love it here but there's a lot to adapt to. The city is amazing tho.

Thanks all for your welcome & tips. Really appreciated :) . Mano Negra - I will indeed pop round to visit your hotel. I arrive in 10 days now. So much to do, so little time. I'll certainly be taking some dollars with me until I get paid (in pesos) then I will be playing the 'how to get rid of my pesos' game. But I'll save that consideration for another time!!

Back