Hola

dennisr

Registered
New kid on the block here. Thought I would introduce myself. Visited Buenos Aires in September and have been mesmerized by Argentine. Not too many places in this old world that have impressed me as much as the vitality and spirit of Argentine people/culture. For me, Argentine is really all about the people. They truly live for the day with a lot of grace and style. Best way for me to express it is, renaissance-romantic era thing. Anyway, returning in December and shall be spending the Holidays: Christmas/New Years. My intentions are to get a second opinion for myself, move or not move. Strongly leaning toward moving. If anyone has anything to offer, open to suggestions.

Everyone -- almost everyone -- falls in love with Argentina when first introduced. I wonder how many native anglophones in this forum have remained in love with the country beyond the first few years (I'm one, but I've never stayed in the country more than two or three months at a time in all the many years that I've been visiting).

If you intend your move to be a permanent one, "Dennis", you might instead wish to live in Argentina just for a year or two at first and make the permanent move only if you still enjoy living there after that time.

Dennisr, love your attitude. Identify what you want to accomplish and go from there. And remember to bring your patience and your ability to laugh at things.

Thank you for the comments. This attraction is something a bit more than "grass looking greener…..", I hope. Nothing new for me to be "odd man out." Maybe the newness would wear off and I will be disappointed, but not to try would be more devastating to my spirit than doing nothing. Took an early retirement because I was tired of watching co-workers and friends become ill or pass on. Watching all of this had a profound affect on me and decided there has got to be something more to life than "work and then you die." When I visited Argentine in September, my spirit was lifted and there was a feeling of new life. Maybe I had "rose colored glasses on," but to not pursue would be like putting a nail in the old coffin. My needs are minimal and have no expectations other than change. Nothing ventured nothing gained and am passing through only one time.

dennisr said:
Thank you for the comments. This attraction is something a bit more than "grass looking greener…..", I hope. Nothing new for me to be "odd man out." Maybe the newness would wear off and I will be disappointed, but not to try would be more devastating to my spirit than doing nothing. Took an early retirement because I was tired of watching co-workers and friends become ill or pass on. Watching all of this had a profound affect on me and decided there has got to be something more to life than "work and then you die." When I visited Argentine in September, my spirit was lifted and there was a feeling of new life. Maybe I had "rose colored glasses on," but to not pursue would be like putting a nail in the old coffin. My needs are minimal and have no expectations other than change. Nothing ventured nothing gained and am passing through only one time.

Were you working at the stock market? J/k ;)

dennisr said:

I retired early as well, generally people who do this in the U.S. have two concerns, how do I live on a reduced income and what do I do about healthcare.

-One reason we decided to go overseas was healthcare. Very expensive in the U.S. for an individual in their late 50's and over. Moving overseas for this reason makes sense at least until you are medicare eligible in the states. In Argentina the healthcare is good if you have private insurance. My guess is you would have to pay around $150 a month for full coverage assuming you are in your 50's. The rates go up as you get older. Today at age 66 expect to pay about $300. Also with high inflation these rates are escalating rapidly, figure probably 25% more in 2009.

-Generally reduced income means you would like someplace where your dollars go further. Be aware B.A. is not cheap like a lot of people think. COL there is higher than most U.S. cities. A lot of this depends on how you live and what you are used to.

nikad said:
Were you working at the stock market? J/k ;)

Not the Stock Market, but do kind of day trade. Give me a secure internet connection and I am in. With the volatility, it is not too bad. Make a few bucks here and there. Traders dream right now.

Guess I kind of misrepresented the early retirement. Was eligible to retire at 55, worked for Uncle Sam, old retirement plan. Health insurance goes with the deal.

Think I got all of the craziness out of my system many years ago. Quit about everything, pure as snow now. Good food and a pot of coffee about puts me over the top. Like I said, NO LIFE.

This feels like a fellowship;)
I first came here in 2004, and like others fell in love with the place. As I too can only be here a few months at a time, that is probably why I still love it. Like stonexpat and dennisr I fully intend to take early retirement and come to stay.
I would argue that it is still relatively cheap, but that is not the reason. Inflation being what it is, it is more likely to be expensive by the time I get there.
Buenos Aires has a pace of life and a joy of life that is completely different from the UK. The people here will rob you blind if they do not know you, take the trouble to know them and they would give you the shirts off their backs.
I hope you stay and enjoy. Do not let the more jaded post here put you off, and to really enjoy at its best learn the language and meet the people.

ps, I am really crap at language. I have studied for years and still have not got it, but for Porteños it is enough that I try

It sounds as though you'd do well in Argentina (perhaps better outside gran Bs. As.), "Dennis", if you know Spanish. If you don't know it (and it's the simplest of the great languages of the world to master), I'd urge you to learn it; otherwise, you'll never really be at home anywhere in Latin America, no matter how many years you stay there.

I would respectfully disagree that BA is more expensive than most cities. QR did a great post on the cost of living, it can be found here. http://paddyinba.blogspot.com/2008/11/cost-of-living-in-buenos-aires.html

Furthermore, in the last few months the peso has been creeping up, making the dollar about 10% stronger.

Lastly, insurance with OSDE is costing 517 pesos these days. It is my understanding that price is for everyone over 36.

Back