Hollywood Does A Remake Of Argentine Movie.

D.B. Cooper

Registered
I didn't like the original Argentine version. I might go see the remake just out of curiosity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/15/movies/julia-roberts-in-secret-in-their-eyes-turns-her-famous-smile-to-grief.html?&moduleDetail=section-news-1&action=click&contentCollection=Movies&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&pgtype=article

I thought the original was excellent.Really what was there NOT to like about it? As a U.S. native resident here during 70s and held for 48 hours in Moreno Police Headquarters for "averiguacion de antecedentes" in 1979,I was able to relate very well to the plot.A friend of mine another U.S.resident was told when he asked for his 2 phone calls like in the U.S.A.,"Vos ves demasiado Chips en la television".I wasn't mistreated but I will always say my U.S. passport saved me from any strong hassling.Julia Roberts !? Give me a break already! Hollywood cashing in on the "Argentine Dirty War".This is a new low for Tinsletown!.

What a terrible idea to remake the movie. First, the original was fantastic and there was no need to remake it. Second, part of the tension and complexity of the film was it's setting in time and place - just before and during the military junta in Argentina - without this element, the movie (which I admit, I've only seen previews for) devolves into just a crime drama with the vigilante/what is justice twist.

I saw the original movie about 4 times. I just went to see the Hollywood version. Similar stories with different scenarios. The Hollywood film was not bad although I find the original story much better, more realistic and and easier to relate to.

This film was playing yesterday (11/27) on Cinecanal, channel 41 on Telecentro.
I wanted to see if my original opinion still stood. And ...? yes it does!.
I thought the plot was convoluted,... all over the place. It has about six flashbacks to the past.
Darin's hair goes from black to grey to black to grey and grey to black. And the woman who has black hair and appears in the flashbacks ?.
Her hair remains black all the time, So when she's talking you can't tell if it's in the flashback or what ?
There are some scenes that are out of place and bordering on the ridiculous. They're looking for a murder suspect who happens to be a fan of a particular soccer team. So they go to a game in a stadium of about 50 thousand people & they find him in a crowd. What are the chances of that happening in real life?.
Then there's the one where the female judge accuses a suspect in a rape case,... that he is not man enough to have done it.
So the guy gets up and pulls down his pants to show his penis :eek: !!!... Are you kidding me !!!
But wait,... the end is that Darin's character finds the husband of the murdered woman living alone somewhere in the boondocks.
When he goes back to the house in the middle of the night he finds that the man has been living with the murder suspect keeping him as his personal prisoner.
Ok,...the movie should have ended there as that was the crux of the whole movie. But noooooooo... the next scene Darin's character is buying some flowers for his dead friend and visits his grave. And then he goes to visit his lady friend at the court house looking like his going to propose. So the film turns into a possible love story. The guy who kept the prisoner in his basement is never mentioned again. Like that's a perfectly normal thing to do.
If this was the best foreign film of that year, I would hate to see the others.
I give this turkey, five thumbs down :eek: !!!!!!

Back