Homesickness

I spent 7 months in BA and don't remember feeling homesick, but I think I was lucky in that I found people that I really bonded with and they were my family and friends while I was there. Now there were times that I missed certain foods that I couldn't find in BA, but I have to admit that since I've been gone I've been missing my favorite empanadas (pikachu at La Cocina) and huge portions of bife de lomo. I left BA in February and I think about coming back all the time. Maybe I'll figure out how to make that work one day.

By the way, I adore your blog!

You have such a natural way with story-telling. I just spent an enjoyable hour reading several entries in your conversation exchange diary. Thank you for sharing these wonderful vignettes.

i agree with callmecarrie - my stomach is the only part of me that really misses "home". all i ask for is one heinz baked bean!

I miss my family - especially my mom. It makes me a bit sad that I can't visit my parents or my brother the same way we visit my husband's family on the weekends. I feel like I'm missing out on that aspect. :(

I do miss certain conveniences as well... things I can do without, but that would be a lot easier/cheaper to acquire in the States. I find myself making lists of things to buy "when I go back home" to visit my parents.

But usually a phone call home (thank goodness for Skype!) and going out for some medialunas or panqueques helps clear it up. :)

I was having the very same conversation the other day with a mate who had sailed here from Spain.
When i lived there, it was a hop on a ferry, now it's not.
For me, the homesickness diminishes with time but there is a directly connected corelation of 'out of sight, out of mind', which is what I find hard to cope with.
It's a hard one and can be very painful at times.

Well I have several adopted families here and lots of friends. I guess after you've been away for 3 years or so it just hits you. My stomach definitely misses home, that goes without saying! Plus I miss how easy everything is, if it's in English it now seems easy, even though I speak good Spanish.

Anyway, glad you like the blog, thanks for the comments guys!

callmecarrie said:
I spent 7 months in BA and don't remember feeling homesick, but I think I was lucky in that I found people that I really bonded with and they were my family and friends while I was there. Now there were times that I missed certain foods that I couldn't find in BA, but I have to admit that since I've been gone I've been missing my favorite empanadas (pikachu at La Cocina) and huge portions of bife de lomo. I left BA in February and I think about coming back all the time. Maybe I'll figure out how to make that work one day.

By the way, I adore your blog!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gringoboy Articles 31
Vagrant Violet Expat Life 12
H Expat Life 28
Back