Hoping To Go To Business School

loustar

Registered
Hi everyone-

I'm looking to go to business school and hopefully get into an MBA program. I initially looked into Mente Argentina and their partnership with the University of Belgrano, but after some research, it looks like there are better business schools. Also, it seems like the overarching opinion of Mente is that it's a waste of money. IAE has a decent reputation from what I've seen, but they're located so far from the center of the city, that I don't think it will work for me.

I'm also looking at UCEMA, UTDT, UBA, and UCA. UBA looks like the best business school, but their website doesn't have a lot of information. Also, from what I've read from folks here, their customer services leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm looking to move with my husband for the duration of the program. I'm not sure if I'd stay in Argentina after I graduate because it would obviously depend on job opportunities. But I'd like to get a decent education while I'm there.

Has anyone had any experience with any of these universities or had a great experience with Mente that they could share?

Thanks in advance.

-Michelle

Hi Michelle,

I can't help all that much in this topic, but I can tell you that my Argentine husband has a degree from La UBA in Economics. He did very well at La UBA. He then went on to get a Masters in Finance at San Andres, which he thought was a strong and well respected program, but not particularly challenging for him.

He has a lot of respect for the program at IAE. He considers it the best by far, and says it is well worth the trip. If you are going to do an MBA in Argentina, his opinion is that IAE is the place to do it. La UBA doesn't offer an MBA program, to the best of my understanding.

Good Luck!

If I were you I'd go with IAE (it's not THAT hard to get to) or di Tella. UADE ok. San Andres, good. UCA is a good school and I think their campus is right in Puerto Madero so if that's important to you then there you go. di tella is right in the city too though. Mente? Never heard of it. University of Belgrano for an MBA. Nah. UBA if you are willing to deal with bureaucracy.

Here's a note from di Tella's website discussing the various MBA options, obviously it's going to be biased towards their own school: http://www.utdt.edu/ver_nota_prensa.php?id_nota_prensa=9666&id_item_menu=6

IAE / di Tella are the most prepared to accept foreigners as far as I understand. Is Mente even a university? Or is it just a scheme for foreigners? I'm suspicious. Doesn't look very accredited.

Here's the key question? How's your spanish? Most of the schools don't offer much course content in English so you need to have an extremely high level of spanish. I assume since you are considering it you are fluent.

IAE and di Tella rank the highest for Argentine biz schools: http://rankings.americaeconomia.com/mba2014/ranking-mba-latino-2014/ but if I had the money and really wanted to do a Latin American MBA I'd go to Chile or Mexico personally. More international links so job possibilities afterwards that much better. You need to consider the ROI of an MBA -- it's not just about the where you do it but about how many connections the university itself has as well as the profile of student there. Otherwise you are throwing an awful lot of money away for no reason. Just because a degree here is cheaper than a lot abroad doesn't mean that it's going to pay off in the end. What if afterwards you want to work in the USA? Do you think your MBA from argentina is going to be received better than someone's BComm from a top US school? Do you want to work in Latin American markets exclusively? What's the reasoning for the MBA here rather than just cost?

Back