Hoping To Move To Buenos Aires To Teach English

James.Kawalek

Registered
Hi,

In March 2016 (beggining of the school year i believe) im planning to come to Buenos Aires to teach English as a foreign language. I'm doing this for two reasons: i've always wanted to see Argentina and because i want to learn Spanish.

I am English (from Manchester) and have a first class degree and am due to finish my masters. I do not have a TEFL (though i could get one) and i have no teaching experience. I speak a little spanish but not much.

I should add that i'm not really bothered about what sort of institution i should teach in as long as they pay enough to live and as long as they're not masdively crooked.

I'd like to pose a dew questions and also ask for more general advice:

- Can i expect to get a job before i leave England?
- How secure are the jobs/ how do they pay?
Which areas of Buenos Aires are best for living in for a potential expat such as myself? (I mean safety + lifestyle rather than proximity to English-speakers)

Based on your collective experiences, is there anything i should consider/ do now whilst planning my relocation?

All help is much appreciated.

Check my post about "Moving to Ba from Canada", there's tonnes of great information on there in regards to what you're asking.

I had some similar questions, some of the feedback I received on there has definitely played a factor in reshaping some of my relocation plans and timelines.

Cheers!

To the OP,

I have been teaching EFL for 6+ years in Buenos Aires. The first thing that I would tell you is that I have never come across an institute that pays a decent, living wage. If you are set on attempting to teach English here, I would work freelance. Teaching EFL here is not an easy gig by any means, but if your goals (as you mentioned) are to travel to Argentina and to learn Spanish, you may find it a rewarding experience.

A few months ago, I wrote a blog post on this very topic: http://vagrantviolet.com/2014/12/want-teach-english-buenos-aires/

Check it out, you might find the information useful. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Suerte!

As many an expat has said before, come down for for a month or so, check the place out, get your hands dirty and then see if it's going to work.
This isn't me preaching from an ivory tower, it's practical advice.
Best of luck mate!

We need a special "counter" function in order to track the number of times this question is asked each month.

We need a special "counter" function in order to track the number of times this question is asked each month.

To James.Kawalek:

Click on the sprocket next to the magnifying glass in the basic search box near the top of this page to access the advance search function.

In two separate searches enter "teaching English" and "teach English" (without the quotation marks) in the find words box.

Search only in titles and display the results as topics.
emo32.gif

Back