Horrible accident in Flores

What a terrible disaster. The pictures and videos are very disturbing.

Horrifying, though sadly not that surprising. A couple of times I've actually gotten off of a colectivo that was being driven too (IMO) recklessly, and out of a remis that wanted to get on the autopista without providing passenger seatbelts. A little overcautious, maybe, but accidents like this remind me that its not a completely unjustified reaction.

Terrible news this martes 13. "No te cases ni te embarques!"

But I'm actually surprised there aren't a lot more colectivo accidents... they drive like madmen.

I love how people are talking about the dangers of at grade crossings. Its actually pretty simple. When the bar comes down and the lights flash, stay behind the damn line.

Last Sunday I rode the #152 on Sante Fe. The driver ran 4 red lights and would never make a complete stop for passengers to get on/off. Such idiots!!!!!!!

PhilipDT said:
I love how people are talking about the dangers of at grade crossings. Its actually pretty simple. When the bar comes down and the lights flash, stay behind the damn line.

Yes this is true but grade crossings invite problems. People foolishly think they can rush across safely. Children may also be involved. There really should not be ANY grade crossings in major urban areas. The elimination of grade crossings could be a very useful government infrastructure project.

sergio said:
Yes this is true but grade crossings invite problems. People foolishly think they can rush across safely. Children may also be involved. There really should not be ANY grade crossings in major urban areas. The elimination of grade crossings could be a very useful government infrastructure project.

Average cost of eliminating such a crossing in France is around 3/4.5 million EUR (non urban areas I guess).
Here, in an urban area, if it costs like 20 million pesos each and if there are 300 of those in the city (no idea, just an approximation ?) = 6 billion pesos.

I guess the Riachuelo will be clean before that (likely on a February 30th).

It would be better to insist on Education : with likely 10 simple measures, the death toll on Argentinean roads could easily be diminished by 2 in a few years. It's just a matter of political willingness.

Driving a bus is a very stressful job. Add to that a low education, likely a low IQ, an improper formation, a lack of penalties (it was told on TV that fines for reckless driving are given per bus license plate & not individualized by driver = useless), dangerous vehicles, etc etc.

Another solution : making the executives of those transportation companies penally responsible for some of the acts of their drivers (in certain circumstances = like when the drivers have to respect timings).

I had an experience last night where the collectivo driver began driving off just as i was getting on! Then i watched as he failed to stop properly at any of the stops, making passengers have to make a death leap of faith when they wanted to get off. He wouldnt even stop for an old lady of about 70 years old!. Crazy.

Back