How Can Arbound Escape Argentina And Return To Canada?

Joe

Registered
We all know the story of ARbound as his moniker originally meant he was bound for Argentina from the frozen recesses of North America - also know as Canada. Bound for Argentina, despite the good advice of BAexpats to stay put. Now his moniker has come to mean he is bound and gagged against his will in the hot, humid dungeon down south called Argentina.

What's the prospects of going to the Canadian embassy and getting an emergency loan?

He could move to Vancouver which has a very developed social safety net and live in Needle Park - also know as Gastown.

Or move to Alberta or other provinces enjoying high paying jobs in tar sands petro production.

Or the old standby of supplementing your income by selling Tomate Locos on Florida St. - I can't count the number of times I've resorted to this.

What's your advice?

I believe he said he does not want to return to Canada.

I think he should try to get an online side job that pays dollars. Actually I think I have a suggestion for him, I will send him a private message.

Love that Joe makes a post specially for poor guy ARBound who we all wish were happier or at least not terribly miserable. And good on you too, Nikad!!

ARBound do you know about eLance and oDesk? Also Guru.com is another freelance job search site.

Joe, I commend you for your empathy. There's far too little of that in the world today.
I also admire ARBound for his/her brutal frankness in explaining their lonely situation. It's the first step in admitting that there is a problem.
I would ask ARBound about friends and family, after all, blood is thicker than water. Friends, true friends, you can count on less than one hand.
If it were me in this situation, I'm pretty sure that my family would rally round and I'd be on the next plane out.
So, what about your friends and family?

Too much irony for me. As I sit in rush hour traffic in rat race Toronto, where it's ranged from -15C to -25C this past week, I'm so willing to swap this for each and every one of the frustrations I hear expressed on this forum. :p

Too much irony for me. As I sit in rush hour traffic in rat race Toronto, where it's ranged from -15C to -25C this past week, I'm so willing to swap this for each and every one of the frustrations I hear expressed on this forum. :p

I feel for you bro,.. I spent many Christmas Holidays there, Mississauga to be exact.
Freezing cold,... specially when the wind blows from Lake Ontario...
Brrrrrrr...

Does ARBound appreciates this thread? (didn't react... Maybe not appreciated)

Like Nikad, I say --> I'd go for an online job paying in USD...

I know a great job for someone who has an excellent writing talent in French Canadian (pays in USD).

On my phone so I'm sorry my responses aren't as neat and direct as I like to make them. I'm still at work so I don't get to check as often as I'd like.

Well Joe, thank you for your concern. I do want to leave but as I said, not to Canada and I could not leave my friend/roommate in a bind because of my poor choices.

My prospects are none at the moment because I wouldn't go to the embassy for an emergency loan unless the country did default again and things went dangerous. I do not want to go back to Canada.

Thanks Nikad, I got your message and will take a look at home after work. You're right, I do not want to return to Canada.

Thanks Lucha, it really helps knowing people out there care. I do wish things were different but at the present I'm just trying to wait it out until I can move abroad again. I'm going to take a look at some online jobs that pay USD/EUR/GBP.

Thanks Gringoboy, I try to be honest as it's hard to understand things if you're not putting it all out there.

I have friends, but like you said, good friends that I can count on one hand and they all have helped as much as they could, especially my roommate.

I don't really have a family. My father and I don't talk because of his drinking issues, violent behavior and homophobia. My mother and I talk a couple times every few months. She says she tried to help and has given me about $250.00 since I've moved here. My mom and I are strained as she was physically abusive and that's how I ended up living with my father. I really don't like to talk about it as people feel sorry for me when I wish they'd not as it doesn't change the past and there are many kids who had/have it worse.

As for weather, no complaints, I don't miss the cold but do wish I had AC.

I've been at work Frenchie, I'm mixed, I don't want attention, but I appreciate people's concern. An inbox would have been better as I'm kinda shy and don't like the spotlight but you guys/gals are sweet.

My Québécois isn't great. I can read it and Parisian French meh, but not enough for a job

I

I

ARbound is a typical Canadian in that unlike Yanquis they hate the lime light. They also don't want to ask for help NOT because they are too proud but because they don't want to inconvenience anyone.

But AR, the thing is, you don't want to go back to Canada. Where are you going to go? Realistically. Working en negro is a precarious position.

My two cents is go back to Canada, go to the Oil Sands, get government help to learn a skill, e.g. heavy equipment operator. You can make 6 figures if you can wiggle your way into the union. Work a couple of years and then try an adventure but with $100K in your pocket.

ARbound is a typical Canadian in that unlike Yanquis they hate the lime light. They also don't want to ask for help NOT because they are too proud but because they don't want to inconvenience anyone.

But AR, the thing is, you don't want to go back to Canada. Where are you going to go? Realistically. Working en negro is a precarious position.

My two cents is go back to Canada, go to the Oil Sands, get government help to learn a skill, e.g. heavy equipment operator. You can make 6 figures if you can wiggle your way into the union. Work a couple of years and then try an adventure but with $100K in your pocket.

I actually work en blanco, but I'm planning at the moment to try working and saving whatever I can in the meantime. Though the odds of the being successful decrease everyday, I try my part to think of this as an invaluable lesson. I got the change I wanted, but I got more than I bargained for.

I'm ok if it takes 2-3 years to save up the money needed (again, this could change thanks to K-ristina, BNA, SCOTUS, etc) but right now my contract with my employer gets us an almost 20% raise every 6 months so even if inflation hits 30% I'll manage (albeit not glamorously) because it is an international company who is paid in EUR.

It's a mix of learning when it's worth the fight and learning when to accept and live with the choices I've made. I'm an adult, a young one, but I need to realize I can't go in to everything and back out when things get tough. That's not how real life is...

Back