How Cold Is Cold ??

RuthB

Registered
How cold is going to get here?? We arrived in July last year, and i just remember the rain.

My heating is on all the time at the moment, but how cold is it really going to get ?

I see next week at night it goes down to 4 degrees- thats cold

Am i going to be freezing !?!?

and if i am, for how long??

PS we arrived from Brazil, where it is always 35+ Always warm, never needed heating !

Thanks

Everything is relative. I lived in Chicago as well as Poland and the Czech Republic where I've suffered -30 to -40 c. This year in ba was unseasonably cold especially for autumn. We have no heat in our building and even I was freezing here!

Try to put double courtains to insulate the cold, and try to stop the wind coming through the frame of the windows and start to learn how to read the gas and electricity bill for the winter.

Wonder which is worse. I have central heating in my building and they have regulated the thermostat at 26C. Its pure hell! Even with all my windows and open - I need to put on my air conditioner to bring the temp down to 20C to be able to sleep.

In the apartment I lived before, they also had central heating w/o individual temperature controls. I probably will never understand who can come up with such a dumb idea... As if everyone has the same preferred temperature for all rooms. Ended up like in your case: some people complained about the cold and thus the heating got fired to close to 30 degree, while many people just opened their windows cool it down.

Usually it gets less than 5 celsius degrees at night for a week, once or twice up to september.

In the apartment I lived before, they also had central heating w/o individual temperature controls. I probably will never understand who can come up with such a dumb idea... As if everyone has the same preferred temperature for all rooms. Ended up like in your case: some people complained about the cold and thus the heating got fired to close to 30 degree, while many people just opened their windows cool it down.

It's bad when you share a building with a lot of elderly people, they want the heat super high, even with half our heat being disabled this year it's still warm in the apartment when it's on.

Our building has built-in radiators, in the walls where you can't get at them, behind grates that have been painted over 30 or so times since the building was built. No controls to adjust the heat.

Last year they most of the time during the cold, even while the boiler in the basement was leaking gas (the stairwell smelled of it all the time!!!). This year they run the heater from about 6:00 am to around 11:00 am only...much better for me overall, although I usually don't go to bed until about 4:00 am or a bit later, and often find myself waking around 8:00 am sweating profusely!

I don't find BA particularly cold. My folks live in St Louis and when I visit them in the winter I often walk through a foot or so of snow outside, temperatures well below zero Celsius. I've played ice hockey on frozen lakes in Canada with temperatures of -10 below Fahrenheit or so.

Here, it's only snowed one time in the nearly 10 years I've lived here - 2007 or 2008 I believe it was, overnight, first time in 89 years. It rarely gets below freezing here.

Cold? Only if you're one who puts on a coat when the temperature goes below 20 Celsius, like most everyone here. :) Of course, when it's chilly and the wind's blowing, doesn't mean one shouldn't wear a coat...

It's bad when you share a building with a lot of elderly people, they want the heat super high, even with half our heat being disabled this year it's still warm in the apartment when it's on.

You get the heat from the apartment downstairs.

Back