How do BAexpats feel about converting Spanish to be Gender Neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverique

Registered
Hi I'm Maverique (Xe, Xem, Xyrs) from Canada and this is my first post.

For my first post as a BAexpat, I'm excited to announce to the BAexpat community that International Pronouns Day is October 21!

Since we all know that Spanish is a heavily gendered language what can we do as a community to change this transgression?

Of course it is not just pronouns that need to be changed but also all nouns that are gendered, e.g. "el hombre gordo". These three short words are offensive for the following reasons:

"el" is not gender neutral​
"gordo" is not gender neutral​
"gordo" is fat shaming "gorda" is even worse.​

many people use word "Gorda" o "gordo" out of affection for their respective spouses or better halves.

Seems to be a very relevant subject for Expats in BA? Particularly for Those that are starting to learn Spanish...?

But everything is possible in the Land that gave birth to Ernesto CHE Guevara, if alive, he would have made it mandatory in Cuba.

Using "gorda" seems more passive aggressive than affectionate - but thanks for the mansplaining.

I'm disappointed that Cristina does not detail her Preferred Pronouns on her Facebook about page. I can only explain it by the still dominant Machismo culture in Argentina.

Here's a subtitled video that addresses this issue:

For seniors like me that may not be aware of the meaning of the word mansplaining. and members of the dominant Machista Culture in Argentina..?

Mansplaining. ... Mansplaining (a blend word of man and the informal form splaining of the gerund explaining) is a pejorative term meaning "(of a man) to comment on or explain something to a woman in a condescending, overconfident, and often inaccurate or oversimplified manner".​

PD: References to Che Guevara images may generate a strong rejection in many circles..!

I think we are better off just leaving Spanish alone; there are much bigger problems in the world at this time that really do need attention and activism. I regularly hear the words chey gordo or gorda or gordito or flaco/ita all spoken in love and no offense taken. You may have a different gender identity, and that is fine, but in the eyes of people, gender is also a way of describing or defining what or who you are talking about. People in Argentina do not get offended easily and are not nitpickers for the most part. That is one of the things about this culture I do like.

For those troubled by the thought that they have seen the term/name somewhere before:

Definition: Maverique is a gender identity characterized by autonomy and inner conviction regarding a sense of self that is entirely independent of male/masculinity, female/femininity or anything which derives from the two while still being neither without gender nor of a neutral gender.

Maverique is completely away from being male, female or anything that comes from both while also not being gender neutral of genderless. It’s its own separate thing. So imagine it this way: male is blue, female is pink, anything that combines the two is purple, gender neutral is green, and genderless is black. Maverique would be yellow.

Source: Animo. Accurate definition? Matches moderately with others on the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back