How do I materially improve my Spanish here?

Fiscal

Registered
I used to take private lessons in the US on a regular basis, and ended up speaking more Spanish in the US than here. While I have to interact with people in Spanish on a daily basis, whether it's a cashier, uber driver, waiter, wife's family and friends, it is very limited and superficial, and it is almost always the other person doing most of the talking. Did other people eventually just become fully fluent after living here a few years? Or do you need to buckle down and basically go back to school?

Watch TV. Read. Listen to talk shows. Try to have conversations about more complex topics with people.
You know, the basics.

I used to take private lessons in the US on a regular basis, and ended up speaking more Spanish in the US than here. While I have to interact with people in Spanish on a daily basis, whether it's a cashier, uber driver, waiter, wife's family and friends, it is very limited and superficial, and it is almost always the other person doing most of the talking. Did other people eventually just become fully fluent after living here a few years? Or do you need to buckle down and basically go back to school?

We speak Castellano here it is a different dialect. Give some time you will pick it up.

you just have to really commit to speaking more and more. after almost 2 years in the country i can handle basics pretty well but i still get lost sometimes. and even when i try to speak in spanish locals recognize i'm a foreigner right away and some talk back in english because they are trying to be considerate haha. but just keep at it! i find that reading helps, and you can of course take more lessons or do things on your own like duolingo as well to practice on your own.

Back