How Do Wealthy Expats Live In Argentina

jb5

Registered
Or the wealthy locals? Do they have drivers, servants, send their children to certain schools? Where do they have vacation homes?

How much does it take per year to live the good life?

jb5 said:
82 views and no responses?

Okay, let me try. The wealthy locals live in a state of siege, in a sea of want. Gated communities and guarded private estates. Drivers and servants, exist, of course. Their children go to private schools -- American, English or in some cases, Argentinian. They have vacations abroad. And second homes and spreads maybe in places like Bariloche and Punta del Este.

Net worth in each case runs into the millions (of dollars).

The "good life" is an American phrase, connoting a relaxed lifestyle when one has made one's pile. There's no such relaxed lifestyle for the rich anywhere in the world today -- just anxiety and wariness to protect and safeguard what they have in a divided, insecure, and mutinous world. In poorer countries like Mexico, Argentina, and Brazil, the rich (and the merely affluent) live in state of siege: thieves, robbers, and kidnappers lurk around every corner. Civil society is unraveling.

jb5 said:
82 views and no responses?
People are different & live differently but then again, all rich people tend to live like you suggest:
Drivers & servants: Yes.
Private education at the best schools: Yes.
Holiday homes: Yes.
I imagine you wanted more details, which I can't provide.

How much does it take per year: How rich is your life style? How rich are you talking about?

bigbadwolf said:
There's no such relaxed lifestyle for the rich anywhere in the world today -- just anxiety and wariness to protect and safeguard what they have in a divided, insecure, and mutinous world. In poorer countries like Mexico, Argentina, and Brazil, the rich (and the merely affluent) live in state of siege: thieves, robbers, and kidnappers lurk around every corner. Civil society is unraveling.

I'm sorry, that is just silly: "no relaxed lifestyle ANYWHERE"? Yeah, right.
This might be true (I don't know, as I haven't been here long enough) in the countries you mention, but there are plenty of rich people in Europe, US, the Caribbean, Canada, Japan, Singapore, the Middle East (Have you been to Dubai?), plus a whole host more, that are living perfectly relaxed and happy lives and feel no thread of "siege" at all.

mini said:
I'm sorry, that is just silly: "no relaxed lifestyle ANYWHERE"? Yeah, right.
This might be true (I don't know, as I haven't been here long enough) in the countries you mention, but there are plenty of rich people in Europe, US, the Caribbean, Canada, Japan, Singapore, the Middle East (Have you been to Dubai?), plus a whole host more, that are living perfectly relaxed and happy lives and feel no thread of "siege" at all.

I don't know which world you're living in. A German billionaire (net worth: $9.2bn) threw himself in front of a train last week. Some rich Americans have lost the bulk of their fortunes in the Madoff ponzi scheme. Rich Americans in general have lost a bundle the last year. And now the US government is cracking down on offshore bank accounts. Dubai's real estate market is dead, and going down by 5% a month. Dubai's stock market is off by 40% from last year's high. These are trying times. The number of google searches on how to commit suicide has shot up steeply. It's not just the poor who are on the receiving end this time around.

From my view: Not all wealthy expats/locals live in gated communities.
Many live in Buenos Aires in luxury or large appartments in Puerto Madero, Recoleta, Palermo chico or else...

And they have gated "weekend" houses in the Northern "countries or barrios" (there are literally hundreds close to Pilar or Pacheco) which they own or rent to have during the year but live in BA.

Drivers are not so common except for the very very wealthy, hig ranking diplomats or businessman, but most dont .... they have their own cars or call radio taxi services .... and also it is not so common so it may attract attention.

House help yes, most middle class families hire someone to help in the house so imagine the wealthy: they will have several maids, gardeners, etc..

Their kids tend to go the highest ranked Bilingual schools. (st Andrews, Lincoln, etc...)

The locals will have vacation homes in Uruguay: Punta del Este or San Ignacio, or in the Argentine coast in Cariló or down south in Villa Langostura, or others...

I dont´ know exactly how much does it take per year to live the good life,
But am sure from previous posts you can manage it :)

bigbadwolf said:
I don't know which world you're living in. A German billionaire (net worth: $9.2bn) threw himself in front of a train last week. Some rich Americans have lost the bulk of their fortunes in the Madoff ponzi scheme. Rich Americans in general have lost a bundle the last year. And now the US government is cracking down on offshore bank accounts. Dubai's real estate market is dead, and going down by 5% a month. Dubai's stock market is off by 40% from last year's high. These are trying times. The number of google searches on how to commit suicide has shot up steeply. It's not just the poor who are on the receiving end this time around.

You miss the point that there are still very wealthy people living very comfortable lives all over the world. You seemed to be implying in your post that 'super rich' has disappeared or are somehow in hiding.

This is just not true. There are many people openly living the high life. People might not be buying real estate in Dubai but they are still traveling and buying luxury goods. Someone with 20m/billion instead of 30m/billions still has a lot of m/billions.

And there are many countries where the rich live with no fear of whatsoever of kidnappings, theft, or other violence.

I agree the wealthy can live comfortably, with minimum fear, many places. Is this the case in BA? Is threat of kidnapping, for example, what it is today in Mexico?

This is a country still subdued from economic crisis and many locals don't take too kindly to foreigners living it large on their fallen peso.

Back