How Do You Get Your Us/english Tv Fix?

Honourable mention also goes to zattoo. More channels than you can shake a stick at (although only the european ones, and you'll need something like tunlr to get around their geofencing).

I have to say though, I (almost) never watch live tv now. Sickbeard will generally pick up shows a few minutes after they air, and I'm not a big fan of watching tv on the computer (I find it better to keep work and tv physically separate!)

omg! YOU ARE ALL AMMMMMMAAZING! I am so thrilled that i found this group!!! Wow - this is really awesome how savvy you all are and that i will not be without my colbert ;)

As a Netflix subscriber in the US, I had no problem using it on my iPad in Argentina. The offerings were slightly different, though - "Justified," for instance, was free in Argentina, whereas I had to pay for the new seasons on iTunes when I came back to the US.

omg! YOU ARE ALL AMMMMMMAAZING! I am so thrilled that i found this group!!! Wow - this is really awesome how savvy you all are and that i will not be without my colbert ;)

you can stream colbert right from their website without a VPN. it works fine (minus the stupid ads)

read a lot about slingbox but could never understand, what the hell it exactly does!

I think I would still need Sleuth or Bricky to set up a system for me.... since i can barely work my cell phone :D

read a lot about slingbox but could never understand, what the hell it exactly does!

Slingbox is a set top box that you connect between your TV and cable box (or DVR) back at your home (say US), then while you live or travel abroad you connect to it online with a computer or mobile (smartphone / tablet, etc.) and it re-directs your TV signal to you. You have full control of your cable box or DVR with a virtual remote control so you can flip channels, play DVR'd shows, etc., just like if you were sitting in front of the TV.

The downsides are that you need to have a place back where you're from (yours or a family friend) with cable and good internet service to be able to plug the Slingbox to. You'll also have command over that cable/DVR box so it is better if no one shares that device at the remote location. Otherwise you'll be changing channels against each other.

We use ours for live TV, US news, etc. Like Sleuth, we have a Mac mini media center connected to our flat screen, so we use it there to play it back on the TV screen.

Is there much difference between the Argentine and US availability on netflix? I looked at both and so far can't see that many differences. It seems like most TV shows/movies aren't updated until a few months after their release - is this correct? I am new to the whole netflix thing.

Is there much difference between the Argentine and US availability on netflix? I looked at both and so far can't see that many differences. It seems like most TV shows/movies aren't updated until a few months after their release - is this correct? I am new to the whole netflix thing.

yes- there is a big difference. There is much less selection on the argentine version, far fewer choices. plus, all the foreign (that is, not originally made in english) movies are only subtitled in Spanish- so, for instance, you may be able to watch "Oldboy", but it will be with Korean audio and spanish subtitles. Great, if you are fluent in either one of those, not so good if you were looking for an english translation.
Its true, I was watching the first season of Justified in Argentina in January on netflix, but not 2,3,or 4. They may have updated a bit by now, I dont know.
Netflix in general has greatly reduced their streaming selections worldwide- they lost their contracts with MGM, Warner Bros, and Universal, in April, and dropped 1800 titles from their streaming library. They lost their contract with Starz in 2012.

yes- there is a big difference. There is much less selection on the argentine version, far fewer choices. plus, all the foreign (that is, not originally made in english) movies are only subtitled in Spanish- so, for instance, you may be able to watch "Oldboy", but it will be with Korean audio and spanish subtitles. Great, if you are fluent in either one of those, not so good if you were looking for an english translation.
Its true, I was watching the first season of Justified in Argentina in January on netflix, but not 2,3,or 4. They may have updated a bit by now, I dont know.
Netflix in general has greatly reduced their streaming selections worldwide- they lost their contracts with MGM, Warner Bros, and Universal, in April, and dropped 1800 titles from their streaming library. They lost their contract with Starz in 2012.

I watched both seasons 1 and 2 of justified in November and December in BA, on Netflix.

Back