How do you keep your money?

Butterpopcorn

Registered
How you guys keep your money.Change to USD?Send money to a foreign bank?Please tell me

How you guys keep your money.Change to USD?Send money to a foreign bank?Please tell me

Except when selling a property, expats living in Argentina don't usually send money to a foreign bank. The challenge for some is sending money from a foreign bank to a bank in Argentina.

That isn't difficult for those who have legal residency and a DNI (which comes with the CUIL/CUIT). Those who are here with a 90 day visa (and without an Argentine bank account) can use XOOM and pick up the money in person.

If you are in Argentina with an expired visa it might be difficult to get the funds. I've never tried that so I'm not sure. The only other way to access funds from a foreign bank would be to use an ATM and your status with migraciones won't matter.

The disadvantage to using an ATM is that the daily withdrawal limits are relatively low and the fees are relatively high.

Expats who want to change pesos to USDs have several options.

If they have a DNI they may be able to change them at a bank. Apparently, some banks will not do this if you don't have an account. The other options are to use a cueva/casa de cambio or deal directly with other expats who have dollars they want to exchange for pesos.

It might be possible to use TransferWire to send money from an Argentine bank to a foreign bank, but you would have to have a DNI, CUIL/CUIT. I haven't checked it out because I have no income in Argentina and no reason to send money to another country.

Banco Piano (for example) can send funds out of Argentina but I belive you would have to "prove" you obtained the funds "en blanco" and appropriate taxes have been paid. There are also "underground" methods of sending funds "en negro" (undeclared) out of Argentina, but I'm not sure how "safe" they are.

Anyone working in Argentina without the proper documentation is unlikely to be able to make enough money to survive, let alone send any money out of the country.

Last edited:
Back