How hard is it to live on a teach English salary

kryoung1983

Registered
I am interested in living in BA. Need to save money. Ideally a few thousand to cushion me due to low wages. Single, no kids. But I have heard it's hard to get stable hours at one place. Long hours between classes. You need to work multiple language centers. I am guessing 30 hours would be closer to 50. Doesn't sound too appealing. Does anyone have advice or perhaps alternative jobs? Don't have a degree so I won't be able to get a decent teaching job.

I don't know about impossible. Only 150 a month if you use a hostel with a shared room. Definitely not enjoyable. Prefer not to use a hostel because in my experience most people in hostels are just wanting to get high, drunk, and party. Not my kind of lifestyle.

Forget it. Nowadays employers, even dubious 'language schools' require legal people, not tourists on a visa who don't even have a university degree. And even if you could get work it would not sustain you.

The only English teachers I’ve known who could sustain themselves taught over Skype or Google for companies in other countries (Japan and Hong Kong, specifically). They made US dollar wages which were directly deposited to their bank accounts. Their hours, however, were based on the company’s timezone. I’d recommend getting one of these types of jobs that would be able to sustain living in a place like NYC, saving 6 months of income, then make the move. You’ll then have job security and financial security for 6 months as an emergency fund.

By the way, the people I speak of have since changed jobs or left BA altogether due to the schedule constraints and job limitations. They did attempt to teach English locally, but found it wasn’t worth the commutes nor the pay which was in pesos. They had degrees but the better paying jobs are at schools that typically have a pool of international teachers they prefer to hire through first. You’d be paid hourly locally, and they cancel class quite frequently or ask you to change the schedule on a whim quite frequently. And forget adjusting your rate with inflation...the hourly rate you start with is typically where it stays.

The only English teachers I’ve known who could sustain themselves taught over Skype or Google for companies in other countries (Japan and Hong Kong, specifically). They made US dollar wages which were directly deposited to their bank accounts. Their hours, however, were based on the company’s timezone. I’d recommend getting one of these types of jobs that would be able to sustain living in a place like NYC, saving 6 months of income, then make the move. You’ll then have job security and financial security for 6 months as an emergency fund.

By the way, the people I speak of have since changed jobs or left BA altogether due to the schedule constraints and job limitations. They did attempt to teach English locally, but found it wasn’t worth the commutes nor the pay which was in pesos. They had degrees but the better paying jobs are at schools that typically have a pool of international teachers they prefer to hire through first. You’d be paid hourly locally, and they cancel class quite frequently or ask you to change the schedule on a whim quite frequently. And forget adjusting your rate with inflation...the hourly rate you start with is typically where it stays.

I second this. Exactly right. Good luck !

Schools? You mean language institutes? They can't hire illegals the way they used to.

I am pretty positive I could get work. It's set up through an agency, but that is beside the point. Sounds like it isn't worth the hassle. I would save money, but it sounds like BA is an expensive city. I will continue saving money, get back into school, and also try finding a way to teach via Skype. I will have to look at other options.

Schools? You mean language institutes? They can't hire illegals the way they used to.

Illegals? Who mentioned illegals???

Answered a general question with a general answer, being legal/illegal aside. My recommendation wouldn’t require residency nor citizenship. Working for a company outside this country and earning income outside this country would allow for anyone to reside in AR without having to get residency or pursue citizenship, especially if they limit themselves to a tourist visa and extension term. But then, this was not mentioned in the original post so I didn’t mention it either.

I know a few Americans who try to teach english locally. It is a tough existence. It is better to get an online-based job with a western company and earn $20,000US per year. It's not that hard to find and life in BA will be much easier.

I agree completely that cancellations, changes of schedule, transportation strikes and general BA chaos limit the potential for efficiency and profits when working in BA.

Back