How Is Buenos Aires Compared To 2 Years Ago?

toongeorges

Registered
Hi there,

2 years ago I had lived for a year in Buenos Aires. I broke up with my Argentine girlfriend and returned home. In 2 weeks I will be back in Buenos Aires for 6 weeks and I am wondering if in these last 2 years things changed. Did life in Buenos Aires get worse or better or is it more or less the same?

I will be in Buenos Aires mainly for dancing tango. I know El Beso, Villa Malcolm, Sunderland (and some other milongas). I am glad to hear about suggestions where to go to dance or to take classes. I am dancing for 5 years now, I am not looking for group classes to start learning tango, rather for private classes on how to improve my technique.

The first thing I will do when I arrive in Buenos Aires, is take a taxi. Prices have gone up to 450 pesos for a trip from 250 pesos 2 years ago. I checked the prices of Taxi Ezeiza over time at https://archive.org/index.php

I made a graph that illustrates the price evolution at Taxi Ezeiza, but I am not sure how to include it in the post.

See you in 2 weeks

I have been coming every year since 2007.
I think many things are much better.
In my neighborhood, there are now garbage bins, and recycling bins. It used to be that every night, the cartoneros would cut open every garbage bag, leave a huge mess, and the next morning, the garbage sweepers would try to clean up. Sometimes there would be huge piles of garbage in the middle of the street all day.
Now, my street is cleaner, the cartoneros actually do their sorting inside the bins, and I can take my garbage out any time of day or night.
We have now gone all Sube card- which means quicker boarding on collectivos and subtes, no waiting for the little old lady to feed in ten centavo coins for five minutes.
Food is better, in my opinion- I have seen, in those 8 years, a steady rise in the types and quality of restaurant cooking.
Beer is much better- in 2007, there were very few quality beers available, now there are lots of microbreweries.
I like the bike lanes, myself.

Of course, there is still inflation.
And, yes, taxis cost more.

Hi there,

2 years ago I had lived for a year in Buenos Aires. I broke up with my Argentine girlfriend and returned home. In 2 weeks I will be back in Buenos Aires for 6 weeks and I am wondering if in these last 2 years things changed. Did life in Buenos Aires get worse or better or is it more or less the same?

I will be in Buenos Aires mainly for dancing tango. I know El Beso, Villa Malcolm, Sunderland (and some other milongas). I am glad to hear about suggestions where to go to dance or to take classes. I am dancing for 5 years now, I am not looking for group classes to start learning tango, rather for private classes on how to improve my technique.

The first thing I will do when I arrive in Buenos Aires, is take a taxi. Prices have gone up to 450 pesos for a trip from 250 pesos 2 years ago. I checked the prices of Taxi Ezeiza over time at https://archive.org/index.php

I made a graph that illustrates the price evolution at Taxi Ezeiza, but I am not sure how to include it in the post.

See you in 2 weeks
Hope you find a new girlfriend and stay here longer. :)

Ries, it´s good to hear about the positive changes. Thanks !

Hope you find a new girlfriend and stay here longer. :)

Argentinian girls are definitely interesting, but I am not planning to stay longer this time. I am planning to earn some money after I come back from Argentina. I will definitely return again later and then who knows.

I've been here full time for 7 years now (and been coming and going for 18), the city keeps getting better! The cultural offering (mainly free) and therefore accessible to all, is superior to anywhere else I know. Food is improving rapidly. For the first time today I had a homemade burger from a truck at the polo and it was delicious and the guys were insistent I try their homemade bread, mustard, choucroute etc while they were cooking the burger so I would know what I wanted with it. 2 years ago it was a patty or a pancho, both tasteless. Transport is much better in the city too. And the weather is still excellent compared to England. The people are still friendly and civilised and there is still not a problem with drunken youths who want a fight. You can now find a decent cocktail. And if Macri wins, while we won't be in heaven as he is inheriting a very complicated economic situation, I suspect there will be lots of opportunities business wise. So all in all (might have something to do with getting married recently) I couldn't be happier here and regardless of how rich I was, couldn't think of anywhere I would rather be. "Ojo" BA is not everyone's cup of tea, but it is certainly mine!

Nice to hear some good feedback right out of the gate. I was ready for grousing! BA isn't for everyone, but you can make it pretty awesome.
Welcome back!

Speaking from Olivos/La Lucila in the province, things are pretty much the same, except for more of a police presence I suppose, which is a good thing.
Ask again in six months and when Macri wins, I expect the answers to be even more positive.

Big difference we have an Argentinean Pope Francisco, that influences the local city politics, and also has ordered the Chef at Il Vaticano to prepare Dulce de Leche, Empanadas de Carne and Colita de Cuadril... You see, Dulce de Leche will become a fad in Rome..? ;) Tiramisu with Dulce de Leche..

Big difference we have an Argentinean Pope Francisco, that influences the local city politics, and also has ordered the Chef at Il Vaticano to prepare Dulce de Leche, Empanadas de Carne and Colita de Cuadril... You see, Dulce de Leche will become a fad in Rome..? ;) Tiramisu with Dulce de Leche..

God forbid! ;)

Back