How is it that so many Argentinians can move to the US?

No, I said the Mexican American community, the majority of whom are not "illegal." Cubans until recently had a clearer path to citizenship because of the "wet feet, dry feet policy." But my original comment was about comparing economic mobility between different immigrant groups, not about specific subsets of those groups. Island-born Puerto Ricans while technially not immigrants, do follow a lot of the same trends as other Latino groups when they migrate, and the poverty of San Juan is on par with most large Latin American cities.

your original comment was about Mexican American citizens vs other immigrant groups and "non-immigrants who send money home" ... then you bring in PRs "technically not immigrants"! Anyway, what are the #s? curious to see!

I just had to Google it

"The comparatively poor outcomes among Mexicans, and to a lesser extent Salvadorans, Guatemalans, and Hondurans, are likely due to their legal status and to the relatively low levels of human capital among the immigrant first generation, although the CPS data do not contain the information needed to directly test this hypothesis"

I already adressed that. Now I can't tell if you're debating me or debating yourself.

Now you guys are like Walter and the Dude arguing about the Chinaman who peed on his rug.

For what is worth, despite legal status, I believe a person becomes an immigrant when he moves permanently to another country and adopts its culture, raises his family etc. On a side note, I think all US immigrants try to work hard, because they will not get many freebies from the government, as opposed to Argentina. The system here somehow gives you the " choice " to work, some immigrants are hard workers, others are perfectly fine living in villas and getting a subsidy, free healthcare, free education, etc. It definitely has a lot to do with the person's decision, whilst in the US, the whole system pushes you into working and producing. Big difference.

Yall are debating on finite details back and forth. The only thing I know is that I can tell my Mexican crews to do a job and they do it quickly and with quality and they move on to the next job. I don't have to worry about them bitching or crying about how they have to get up in the morning or work 6 days in a row or about how they made more money last month or that Juan Martin has 5 kids and one has learning disabilities so we have to hire him also even though he is not qualified for the job... I don't have to worry about them slow playing the end of the job to "finish out the month".

To Mexicans time is money and they realize completing work makes more money for them rather than trying to get more money by being a royal pain in your ass. Just finish your work and move on to the next job and get paid for the next one.

Yall are debating on finite details back and forth. The only thing I know is that I can tell my Mexican crews to do a job and they do it quickly and with quality and they move on to the next job. I don't have to worry about them bitching or crying about how they have to get up in the morning or work 6 days in a row or about how they made more money last month or that Juan Martin has 5 kids and one has learning disabilities so we have to hire him also even though he is not qualified for the job... I don't have to worry about them slow playing the end of the job to "finish out the month".

To Mexicans time is money and they realize completing work makes more money for them rather than trying to get more money by being a royal pain in your ass. Just finish your work and move on to the next job and get paid for the next one.
I insist it has nothing to do with nationality but WHERE you are living/working. Argentine living in the US are hardworking and brilliant at what they do, here it is a different story.

I insist it has nothing to do with nationality but WHERE you are living/working. Argentine living in the US are hardworking and brilliant at what they do, here it is a different story.

This is a good point. If I was a hard working Argentine I would be in another country realizing benefits of my hard work.

This was a thread about Argentinian immigrants to the US and then detoured into pleasantries about Mexicans because someone needed to throw in a despectiva non-sequitur that Argentinian immigrants were not come to the US to "wash dishes like Mexicans".

Back